Not all wrestlers will practice wearing their singlet, but if you want to compete then often times it will be required by your organization. If your team does not provide a singlet for you or if you want one so that you can wear it while training, then you’ll have to buy your own.
A wrestling singlet is a one-piece garment that is designed to be worn during wrestling competitions. It should be tight enough that your opponent cannot grab it, but not too tight that it is uncomfortable. Wearing a singlet can be strange at first, so you should wear it during training a few times even if you prefer to train in other clothing. If you aren’t prepared for wearing a singlet, then it can make you feel uncomfortable when you’re performing.
You should make sure that your singlet is one that works best for you, so there are a few things to consider when shopping around.
Things to look for when buying a wrestling singlet:
- Size – You want your wrestling singlet to fit you very well, because it is an important piece of your equipment. If it is too big, it can be saggy, be easy for your opponent to grab a hold of or move into places that are uncomfortable. If it is too small, then it can feel tight and restricting. You want to be able to move well and be comfortable while you are competing or training.
- Material – Your singlet should be a stretchy material like spandex or lycra. There are a lot of companies that will make singlets with different materials, so try them on and buy the one that you feel most comfortable in.
- Cut – There are a variety of cuts that singlets are available in, so you should know which one you feel the most comfortable in before you buy it. The main cuts are the full cut, the FILA cut or the low cut, and each one is a bit different. The full cut has the most coverage and the low cut has the least. Try them each and see which one you like the best.
- Style – Find a color and design that you like that makes you feel comfortable when you’re training or competing. Also, if you’re a member of a team you may have to buy your team colors for your singlet. Style is important when buying any piece of equipment, so make sure you buy something you like.
There are a lot of singlets on the market, so make sure you shop around and buy one that you like. We have a few of our favorites, so we’ve reviewed them for you to help you out. Here are our best wrestling singlets on the market.
Stepping on those mats, no wrestler wants to tug and adjust his singlet nor does he want his focus distracted by a snag in his singlet. The Adidas singlet with its signature three stripes on the side is our favorite amongst the many available in the market today. Made of lycra, the feel and the stretch is so good that you would love to stay in them longer.
The fit and the comfort level is a class apart and hence it is the best on our list. Apart from we have other choices too, for your consideration.
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice: Adidas Stock Singlet
- 2 2. Asics Men’s Solid Modified Singlet (Anti-Chaffing)
- 3 3. Brute Men’s Lycra® High Cut Wrestling Singlet
- 4 4. Brute Maverick Adult Wrestling Singlet
- 5 Our Final Thoughts
Here is a small comparison table of all the four singlet we are about to review in this article. This table is just a snap shot of the products, to give you an idea at first glance. They are compared over various parameters like the materials used, the fit, comfort level, etc. these parameters are what influences one’s decision to buy a garment like the singlet.
Products We Have Reviewed
A singlet is an important and the only piece of garment worn by a wrestler in a match. They are generally made of stretchy fabric that can stretch and move along with the body, without ripping. After trying on a number of singlet and watching users perform on the mats, we have finalized on these four for our review:
- Adidas Stock Singlet
- Asics Men’s Solid Modified Singlet
- Brute Men’s Lycra® High Cut Wrestling Singlet
- Brute Maverick Adult Wrestling Singlet
1. Editor’s Choice: Adidas Stock Singlet
The classic three stripes that you can find on any Adidas garment is the only design on this otherwise black singlet. The material used is very good quality and fits so well that it moves along with the body without restricting any movement.
It is the stretch and lightness which really impressed us. This breathable material helps in maintaining the comfort level of the wearer.
- Made of Lycra
- Seamless flat stitching
- Well Fitting
- Adidas three stripes on the side
Some Questions Answered
What is the length of the singlet?
-It is quad length
How does it fit
It is stretchable and fits well. It can be snug around the thighs for some people. In such a case they might have to go in for the next size. However, it doesn’t hug the body and feel like a second skin.
How To Choose The Right Singlet For You
When in wrestling, a singlet is the professional outfit to be worn. These come in various sizes and fits, thus making it difficult for a beginner to choose the right fit for them. Here are a few pointers to help you pick the right one.
The most important factor to consider here is the fit. Some may like it snug and others may want some more room between the fabric and their body as they are not too comfortable with a tight fitting outfit. But in a singlet, the tight fit is what is recommended. Ideally there must be no extra fabric that can bunch up or hang loose around your body. This is because even a little bunched up fabric can be grabbed easily by your opponent. When your opponent can grab something to get a better hold on you, you are giving them an advantage.
There are different fabrics for one to choose from. A singlet must be stretchy and comfortable. It must have enough elasticity to come back to its original shape when not stretched over a body. Hence it is advisable to go in for a combination of nylon and elastic. 80% nylon for long lasting material and 20% elastic for a good stretch.
There are three major cuts when it comes to singlets:
- Full Cut – This looks like a tank top and a boxer brief attached
- FILA cut – Very similar to the full cut but the arm opening is larger and tends to open up half way down the sides
- Low Cut – these have openings on the front, back and the sides. It will look like boxer brief attached to suspenders
Finally the most important part of the fit is the size. If your t-shirt size is a medium, you must go in for a medium singlet. Do not go in for a bigger size because it looks too small. Singlets these days are made if high quality fabric which can stretch well.
A Detailed Review of Other Products On The List
Since a comparison table is enough, here is a detailed review of each of those products:
2. Asics Men’s Solid Modified Singlet (Anti-Chaffing)
When you wear a snug outfit and move around a lot while sweating, the most common problem is chaffing. This particular singlet from Asics is our number one product on the list because it has a flat lock seam. This eliminates the chaffing all together and offers better comfort for the user.
- Material combination – Nylon 80% and Lycra 20%
- Dimensions – 8.4 x 5.5 x 1.5 inches
- Flatlock stitching to eliminate chaffing
- Leg opening have gripper for better fit
Some Questions Answered
- How long are the legs?
The style is quad length and it will reach till mid thighs. If you wear a knee sleeve, both will come into contact, thus leaving no skin exposed above the knees.
- Can it be used for other sports?
A singlet is commonly worn even for weight lifting. This particular product can also be used for weight lifting as the material combination facilitates a good stretch, which is very important when you are lifting.
Should you wear another outfit inside?
The cut is low and for those who don’t want to expose too much skin around the chest area, an extra t-shirt on the inside will suffice.
3. Brute Men’s Lycra® High Cut Wrestling Singlet
For those who are hairy in the chest area or don’t like to expose a lot of skin, this high cut can be the right choice. This is why we have it in the second spot on our list as we learned many men prefer a better coverage for their chest.
- Material Combination – Toughtex Lycra®: 88% nylon, 12% Lycra® spandex
- Style – High cut
- Quad length
- Gripper around the leg openings for a better fit
- Dimensions – 9 x 9 x 1 inches
Some Questions Answered
- Is spandex a better choice for such singlets?
Spandex is very stretchable and light. This combination offers the singlet a good stretch without weighing much. Thus the wearer will not feel anything and can move around freely.
- Does it fit and stretch well?
The Lycra nylon and spandex combination allows the singlet to move along with you. It will help your body movement and you won’t feel any pull or snag. The gripper at the leg openings offer a better fit and can stretch to fit the size of the wearer.
4. Brute Maverick Adult Wrestling Singlet
With a dual color combination, this singlet can help you make a style statement when you step on those mats. With a high cut, the back is raised high and does not expose much skin. For those who are not comfortable with exposing too much skin and prefer to wear another outfit on the inside, this eliminates the use for that. When the layers are lesser, you won’t feel too hot during a fight and comfort level is extremely important in a fight.
- Made of ToughTex Lycra
- Elastic gripper around leg opening for better fit
- Equipped with Evaptech fabric that eliminates moisture
Some Questions Answered
- Does it fit well?
Yes, the fit is snug and hugs the body in the right places, making it comfortable for the wearer
- What is Evaptech fabric
It is a fabric specifically designed to absorb and eliminate the sweat from the body. When the wrestler is drier, they are more relaxed and cooler. Helps them focus better.
- Is ToughTex Lycra good?
Yes, this material is thicker than the regular lycra material but combined with the Evaptech technology, it does not cause the wearer to sweat or feel hot.
Our Final Thoughts
If you want to compete in wrestling, then you should have a good singlet. You want to make sure that you are comfortable in what you’re wearing, so you should get one that fits you well and that you are able to move in.
Before you buy your singlet, you should make sure you know a few things:
- Do I like the cut and feel comfortable?
- What cut do I prefer?
- Is the fit tight enough to prevent my opponents from grabbing it, but still comfortable?
- Does the color and pattern match my style?
- Am I comfortable in the material?
If you are confident about these things, then you will be able to find yourself a great wrestling singlet that you can wear during training or competition.