Muay Thai is a great sport for both men and women. It is great for competition or even just as a workout. There are a lot of benefits to Muay Thai for everyone. If you’re training a lot or competing, then it makes sense to buy your own equipment, and that includes your own gloves. If you’re a woman looking to buy a pair of Thai boxing gloves, then you should take a lot of things into consideration before you go ahead and spend the money on a pair.
Not all equipment is as useful for women as it is for men. Traditional Thai-style brands tend to be wider and have a more box-shaped contour because they are not made for as much punching as boxing gloves. This shape is also ideal for when you need to be able to clinch. It is great for the sport and especially for men, but it can mean that the gloves end up being too big for your hands and too wide to be comfortable. You could have trouble throwing punches or even moving in any way if your gloves are ill-fitting.
Most glove companies do not make different gloves for men and women but instead have a unisex glove that should be ideal for either men or women. Of course, this isn’t always the case, so if you’re looking for the right Thai boxing gloves for you, then you’ll have to consider a few different things.
On average, both kids and women’s palms and thumbs are smaller than men’s, and when you’re looking for your own gloves, then you’ll want to shop through a few different brands before buying the right ones for you.
It might be frustrating to feel that your gloves are too big because they are also made to fit men, but there are great ones out there that will fit your hands as well.
You also want to consider what you’re going to use the gloves for. If you’re looking for something for competition, then you will want to make sure you get a good quality glove in the proper weight.
If you want something for every once in awhile training, then you’ll be able to choose whichever weight works best for you, and also you don’t have to spend as much on them.
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice – Bad Boy Women’s Endurance Gloves (Best Value)
- 2 Runners up For Top Womens Thai Boxing Gear
- 3 2. Venum Women’s Contender Boxing Gloves
- 4 3. Venum Challenger 2.0 Boxing Gloves
- 5 4. Hayabusa Ikusa Charged Gloves
- 6 Our Final Thoughts
Things to consider when buying Thai boxing gloves as a woman
- Glove Closure
Different weights in gloves are used for different things. Muay Thai gloves typically come in 8 oz., 10 oz., 12 oz., 14 oz., 16 oz., 18 oz., and 20 oz.
Most women will choose an 8 oz or 10 oz glove for both general training and competition. For technical sparring, you’ll likely use a 14 oz glove. If you don’t intend on competing or just want to use Muay Thai as a workout, then you can stick with a simple, lighter pair of gloves for everything.
But if you are going to spar, then expect a heavy glove to come from your opponent. You can ask your coaches what they think you’ll use the gloves for, and that will help you make a decision about the right weight.
You can find Thai boxing gloves in either vinyl or leather, and the choice you make will be based on how often you use them, how long you want them to last and your general preference.
Vinyl gloves tend not to last as long as genuine leather gloves, but they are usually much cheaper.
Leather gloves are a little bit more sturdy but are also more expensive. Also, you may like the look or feel of one over the other, and that could make a difference in your performance as well.
Muay Thai gloves will most often come with velcro closings, but you can also find ones that lace up. A velcro hold will be more convenient for sparring or training, and you will also have a much easier time getting in and out of your gloves. However, if you plan on competing and want a tight hold, then you could want to try laces to make sure that they don’t come off of your hands.
Thai boxing gloves come in all kinds of colors and patterns. Some women really like having flashy and pretty equipment, and we think that’s great. You will be able to find something you like.
If you’re a woman who is more into neutral or modest styles, then you can find those too.Your gloves are going to be a part of your training outfit and part of your look. Make sure you get a pair of gloves that look the way you like, because you will use them every time you train or compete.
What you plan on doing with your gloves and also how they look should dictate the price. If you are a beginner and are still unsure if you will stick with the sport or don’t want to train that often, then a cheaper pair may be best for you.
If you want a pair of gloves that will last you a long time, are made of leather instead of vinyl and you can use in your professional fights, then don’t bargain shop and instead buy something that will last you a long time and will work well. Also, if you want a specific style, pattern or color then be prepared to pay a little bit more to be flashy.
Thai boxing is a great sport for women, and having your own gloves can really make a huge difference for you. We also went out and researched for you so that we can help you find the best Thai boxing gloves for women on the market.
Boxing Glove Size Chart
If you’re really struggling to find a good pair of Thai boxing gloves, you can take the advice of World Champion Muay Thai Boxer Tiffany Van Soest who says that because traditional Thai gloves are shaped to be bigger, she finds them difficult to fit her hands.
Instead, she uses regular boxing gloves (read our top womens boxing gloves review) because they have a more rounded shape which ends up being smaller around the hands and also better wrist support.
1. Editor’s Choice – Bad Boy Women’s Endurance Gloves (Best Value)
After reviewing a number of gloves, we closed in on the Bad Boy Women’s endurance series boxing gloves for their versatility, as our top pick.
There are many reasons for this specific model to be our top pick.
- Reason No. 1 – They deliver superb performance. They do what they are meant to.
- Reason No. 2 – The construction of the gloves is very good, providing excellent hand protection. There is a perfect balance between protection and power that is achieved in these gloves.
What We Like
- The synthetic leather used to make the gloves is of superior quality, which offers long lasting durability and some great performance.
- The foam used in these gloves is EVA foam, which provides superb protection, even during repetitive striking exercises.
- The skin irritation and bad odor are limited by the smooth sweat-wicking lining that is present in the gloves. The bacterial growth is also limited by this lining.
- These gloves are specifically designed for fitness, bag work and sparring.
- Made of low gloss and synthetic leather.
- The foam used in the construction is premium EVA foam.
- The smooth sweat-wicking lining makes it odor free.
- The padding is ergonomic.
- A wide Velcro strap ensures a secure fit.
If you need style and comfort combined with some fresh colors, great durability, and protection, then the Bad Boy Women’s endurance series boxing gloves are the ones for you.
Coming in two ideal sizes, 8 oz. and 10 oz., they are the ideal gloves that have good anatomical shape, and are designed for work, sparring as well as fitness.
Runners up For Top Womens Thai Boxing Gear
|Venum Women’s Contender||8 oz. and 10 oz. ||100% high quality synthetic leather||Good for heavy bag training, sparring and fitness training.|
|Venum Challenger 2.0 ||8 oz., 10 oz., 12 oz., 16 oz.||Polyurethane leather||Durable.
Good for kinds of training.
|Hayabusa Ikusa||16 oz.||Engineered leather||Good for sparring and heavy bag work.
Has advanced moisture wicking.
During our research, we found that the Venum brand has some really great set of Muay Thai boxing gloves. The contender and challenger series belong to the starting range, with limited features.
But if you are looking at some awesome features, and ok to pay a bit more, then the Venum Contender series gloves are for you. For the price and the versatility that they offer in their category, they are certainly a good choice.
- Very versatile
- With its anatomical design, it helps maintain your striking technique
- Useful for some heavy bag training, sparring, mitt work or fitness.
- Curved anatomical shape.
- Does not have a thermal regulating mesh
- Made of 100% high-quality synthetic leather
- A Multi-density foam for good shock absorption
- Full attached thumb
- Large Velcro enclosure.
Another addition coming from the Venum series, we see a great quality womens thai boxing glove in the Challenger 2.0 gloves.
If you are into casual training and fitness, as a beginner, then the Venum Challenger series gloves are an ideal fit for you. The design is modern and well-crafted and can used for a variety of training.
- Best Budget gloves, ideal for beginners.
- Manufactured in Thailand.
- Have good durability.
- The triple density foam provides advanced shock absorption and good hand protection.
- You get a customized fit with the wide Velcro band.
- For bigger hands, this could be a bit of a problem, because of the normal hand size the gloves come in.
- Made of 100% Polyurethane leather material.
- A triple density foam construction.
- Large Velcro enclosure band.
- 100% fully attached Thumb
Scientifically designed, these Hayabusa Ikusa Charged Gloves are ideal for sparring sessions. If you are looking for some superior hand and wrist protection, then these gloves are meant for the exact same purpose.
These hand-crafted gloves, with patented Dual-XTM closure system, are the premium range of gloves. If you are looking for some high-class performance and design, then go in for the Hayabusa Ikusa gloves.
- Gives you good wrist support and striking power.
- Good breathability.
- Superior to the regular gloves
- Good for heavy bag work and sparring
- Just look awesome
- An expensive set of gloves
- Made of engineered leather with inner lining.
- Ergonomically designed gloves.
- Has advanced moisture wicking.
Our Final Thoughts
Having your own Muay Thai gloves can make your boxing experience really special and personal for you. They give you the ability to get really comfortable in your equipment and really take your performance to the next level.
When shopping for gloves, remember that most boxing gloves are made for both men and women, so they might be a little bit big in the palm and thumb areas. You will have to look around until you can find ones you like. You also want to ensure that you have the proper weight, material and style that will help you get the best Thai boxing gloves you can have.