Probably one of the most iconic and clearly the coolest-looking training items for boxing is the speed bag. It is the first thing a lot of people think of when imagining training hard for a boxing match, and often associated with the music from an 80’s montage.
But why should you incorporate a speed bag into your own workout?
Well, first of all, speed bags are great for increasing your hand-eye coordination. If you want to work on moving fast, then you need something that will force you to do so. You don’t want to be in a fight and not be able to land a punch on a quick opponent.
A speed bag will also improve your reaction time and your rhythm. You can choose how often you hit the bag and create an exercise that keeps you at the same pace until you can perfect that particular amount of hits. As you get faster, you can increase the rhythm and your reaction to the bag. This, of course, will make you a more accurate and faster striker.
Another great benefit of the speed bag is that because it is light, you can use it often without doing a lot of damage to your hands. Though it’s advised to start training with gloves or wraps until your hands get used to it.
All of these are important things to work on when you’re training boxing, so even without the 80’s music or Rocky style wardrobe, a speed bag can be incredibly beneficial to you.
As a striker, you want to be fast and accurate.
Once you know that you should be using a speed bag and how to use one properly, then you’ll have to decide which one you should buy if you want to own one for yourself. There are a lot of different kinds of bags on the market for strikers, so you want to make sure that you’re buying the right one.
A speed bag is much smaller than a standard punching bag and of course is much lighter. It hangs suspended from a platform that will not only act as a place to hold the bag, but also is what helps develop rhythm by the way the bag hits the board and how many times.
There are a lot of speed bags on the market, and they all have some subtle differences, so it can be difficult to find the one that is best for you. There are a few things to consider before you buy one for yourself.
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice- Venum Speed Bag
- 2 2. Hayabusa Pro Training Elevate Speed Bag
- 3 3. Cleto Reyes Small Platform Speed Bag
- 4 4. Ringside Speed Bag
- 5 5. Everlast Elite Leather Speed Bag
Things to consider before buying a speed bag
- Balance – It is important to have a speed bag that is properly balanced. You don’t want to be punching at the bag and have it flying all over the place. One of the main points of your work with the bag is to develop rhythm, and if your bag is not balanced, then it won’t allow you to feel a proper rhythm and will just make you feel frustrated. Make sure that the bag you are buying has been balanced and tested so that you don’t end up with a product that doesn’t move the way it is supposed to.
- Brand – There are brands out there that specialize in boxing and striking equipment, and therefore will most likely have some of the best products that you can find. A good brand will know how to balance out the bag, use the best materials and know how to make a product that lasts. However, some brands can be more expensive just because of the name on the bag. Be sure to know your budget before you go off and begin buying.
- Materials – The materials used in your bag will determine its weight, balance, bounce and durability. You can find speed bags made of leather or synthetic leather, and they will feel differently. If you want a bag that will last you a long time, you’ll also want one that is reinforced (often with nylon) and stitched well. A speed bag will be put through a lot of use and will get a lot of hits, so you don’t want to waste your money on one that is made with cheap or poor materials.
- Bladder – One of the most important elements of a speed bag. They are usually made of a durable rubber that will last for a long time, but will allow the bag to bounce back instead of just hitting the platform and swinging. The bladder helps with the balance and the speed at which the bag can move. The inside of the speed bag needs to be just as well made as the outside.
A speed bag can really help improve your game in a lot of ways, and with something that can be so beneficial to you, you want to make sure that you have a great one. There are a lot of products available, so it can be confusing to know which ones to buy. We reviewed some of our favorites for you to make your shopping a bit easier.
Our Top Speed Bags for the Money
- Venum Speed Bag
- Hayabusa Pro Training Elevate Speed Bag
- Cleto Reyes Small Platform Speed Bag
- Ringside Speed Bag
- Everlast Elite Leather Speed Bag
Not all speed bags are made the same. There are differences in materials used and sizes that can make a huge difference to you and your needs. Check out our review of speed bags to help you decide which one is the best for you.
|Venum Speed Bag||Premium Skintex Leather||M- 6 in L- 7 in||Rubber|
|Hayabusa Pro Training Elevate Speed Bag||Leather||9×6 in||Heavy duty rubber|
|Cleto Reyes Small Platform Speed Bag||Head leather with nylon lining||9×6 in||Nylon|
|Ringside Speed Bag||Genuine Leather||XS- 5x8in S- 6×9 in M- 7×10 in L-7×11 in||Rubber|
|Everlast Elite Leather Speed Bag||Top grade leather||9×6 in||Rubber|
1. Editor’s Choice- Venum Speed Bag
When you’re serious about training boxing or striking, then you absolutely want to have good rhythm and speed when you are punching, so having a good speed bag is a great tool. It’s important to have one that is made of durable material and is properly balanced. For us, the Venum Speed Bag stands out above the rest.
It’s design and quality make it our top pick, and that should be the top of the list when you’re in the market for a good speed bag.
Why the Venum Speed Bag is Our Top Pick
Venum is one of the top names in fight sports, so before you even look into the bag it’s good to know that this is from a company that can be trusted to make a good product for fighters. This speed bag is made with their premium skintex leather and is made to last. You will be hitting this bag a lot and with a good amount of force, and Venum has designed it to withstand this damage for a long time.
Not only has Venum made their speed bag to last, but they also designed it to be perfectly balanced so you can expect it to rebound in a perfect rhythm for you. It has been tested and continues to stay balanced throughout your training, so you can keep working on your speed and timing without being interrupted by an uneven bag.
It also has a bladder that is made to last a long time and bounce back well. You can expect it to rebound quickly to you instead of hitting the platform and losing speed. This will help you improve your skills and you can trust that the inside will not break.
- Made of premium Skintex leather
- Extremely durable
- Designed to be perfectly balanced
- Long-lasting rubber bladder that rebounds quickly
- Two available sizes
- Handmade in Thailand
A few questions answered
Which size is best for a beginner?
When you’re first starting out, using a bigger bag will be easier because it will move slower. Once you get more advanced you can buy the same bag only slightly smaller to work on faster moves.
Hayabusa is also a name that can be trusted to make a great product, so you can feel confident when buying their speed bag that it is one that will work well for you. It is made to be incredibly durable with a leather outside and a heavy duty performance rubber bladder. This allows for hard hits and will last you for a long time.
The design is made to be balanced to give you the most accurate rebounds so that you can keep getting faster and faster during your training. This bag is great for all levels, from beginners to experts, but it is designed for maximum speed and force. The design of the Hayabusa Pro Training Elevate Speed Bag is great for perfecting your rhythm and working on combinations
- Made of leather
- Heavy duty performance rubber bladder
- Designed for maximum speed and force
- Balanced for accurate rebounds
- Extremely durable
3. Cleto Reyes Small Platform Speed Bag
This speed bag is great for beginners, but will also work incredibly well for advanced strikers as well. It is made of genuine leather and has a tough nylon lining that will allow it to last for a long time. The Cleto Reyes Small Platform Speed Bag is the perfect size to work on all aspects of your striking, so you can improve your speed, rhythm and even work on combinations.
This bag is designed to be balanced to allow you to work on your reflexes and coordination, but it also is very easy to install and put on the swivel. This is helpful in keeping the bag’s weight from becoming unevenly distributed, and can be very helpful if you’re not used to hanging your own bag.
This bag is, however, one of the more expensive ones on our list.
- Made of genuine leather
- Tough nylon lining
- Easy to hang on a swivel
- Designed to be perfectly balanced
- Handmade in Mexico
Some questions answered
What is the proper pressure to pump the bag to?
It should be filled to 10 lbs of pressure.
4. Ringside Speed Bag
This bag comes in four different sizes, so you can choose which one is best for your level. As a beginner, it is better to have a bag that is bigger so it will move slower. As you become more advanced, then you’ll be able to use a smaller speed bag.
The Ringside Speed bag has durable leather construction that is triple-stitched with nylon thread to ensure that it won’t fall apart after a lot of use. It is also balanced and has a durable rubber bladder to make sure that it bounces back quickly to allow you to work on your technique and speed.
- Extremely durable
- Made of leather
- Triple-stitched with strong nylon thread
- Four available sizes for all levels
5. Everlast Elite Leather Speed Bag
Everlast is a great company that is known for making good sports equipment at a fair price. You can trust that this brand will last for a long time without emptying your wallet.
It is made of top-grade leather and has reinforced seams to make sure that it will last you for a long time and you won’t need to constantly replace it. It is lightweight and balanced with a rubber bladder to give you accurate rebounds. This allows you to work on your speed, rhythm and technique without having to be distracted or frustrated by a cheaply made product.
- Lightweight material
- Made of top-grade leather
- Balanced for accuracy
Our Final Thoughts on Finding A Great Speed Bag
If you’re serious about stepping up your striking game, then a speed bag can really take you to the next level. Speed bags are used to help improve your speed, hand-eye coordination and your rhythm during striking. You can use them to work on straight punches or combinations, and they can help you develop your skills quickly and gradually. You will be able to learn how to focus on your timing which can really increase your game in the ring.
When you’re looking for your own speed bag, you should keep a few things in mind. You want to have a bag that is doing to last you a long time. Not only do you hit it with your hands, but it also rebounds off of its platform, so it takes a lot of damage. You don’t want to buy a cheaply made speed bag that you’ll need to replace in a few months.
You also want to make sure that your product is able to do its job and rebound well, so it’s important that is has a good bladder that helps it bounce back for you and also that it is properly balanced so it isn’t swinging around. If either of these are off, then you will be unable to work on your timing or rhythm properly and can simply cause you to be frustrated.
Using a speed bag can really help you a lot, so it’s important that you find the right one for you, and work hard to improve your skills.
If you follow this guide, you will be able to find a great speed bag.