The top pick for us in the category of boxing headgear is the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard. RDX Sports is a leading name in the fitness industry for a few decades now. They manufacture and export their boxing, MMA and Muay Thai fitness gear all over the world.
This headgear combines quality and an affordable price. With its superior design it gives you a great and unmatched protection. It is durable and well built to make sure that your head is always protected.
|1||MaxxMMA Headgear Black L/XL Boxing MMA Training Kickboxing Sparring Karate Taekwondo||203 Reviews||$21.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Everlast Durahide Headgear (EA)||442 Reviews||$43.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||SANJOIN Boxing Helmet Closed Type Boxing Head Guard Sparring MMA Muay Thai Kick Brace Head...||331 Reviews||$24.97||Buy on Amazon|
- Best Headgear for Boxing (Reviews)
- Boxing Headgear Buying Guide
Best Headgear for Boxing (Reviews)
1. Best Headgear for the Money – RDX Zero Impact Leather Head Guard
The RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard is a great headgear that is made of high
quality materials at a reasonable price. Wearing a good headgear is not only important from the protection point of view but it is also important for performance. It allows you to train harder and greatly reduces the risk of injury.
- It is made of High-quality Maya Hide Leather, which makes it a highly durable
- It has triple padded Tri-Slab with Shell Shock gel lining between each slab.
- The padding is Supremo-Shock Foam padding.
- It has a removable face-grill made with lightweight polymer.
- The Quick-EZ Velcro closure ensures no budging or slipping.
- It is available in sizes such as small, medium, large and extra large.
Pros of the RDX Zero Impact Leather-X Grill Head Guard:
- This headgear with its triple padded Tri-Slab has Shell Shock gel lining between each of the slabs. This gives you maximum shock absorption and you can spar with confidence.
- The Supremo Shock Foam padding adds to the safety feature of this headgear and makes it a highly shock absorbent product. This is necessary to protect you from concussive force.
- The gel lining absorbs shock very well and foam and padding ensure shock dissipation.
- It is made of High-quality Maya Hide leather and this well made head guard will be your protective companion for a long time.
- The Velcro closure makes it easily adjustable and it fits all head sizes. It conforms snugly to the shape of your head and does not budge or slip.
- The face-grill is removable and it gives you great head protection.
- It is easy to find the perfect headgear that fits you, as it is available in different sizes.
Review of the Best Choices for Quality Headgear
|Brand||Features||Anti-Microbial Technology||Made of|
|Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear||
||Yes||Upgraded Vylar-2 Engineered Leather for advanced crack resistance.|
|Everlast Everfresh Head Gear||
||Yes||Made of rugged Everhide.|
|Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear||
||No||Made of PU leather.|
2. Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear
Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Headgear is one of the most popular products available today. You will find it tough to find something that you would not like about this headgear. It gives you a good visibility and stays exactly where you want it to stay. It is extremely lightweight.
- The protective front bar gives you great protection without compromising visibility.
- It has a Velcro fastener with the hook and loop closure and an adjustable chinstrap. These give you a safe and secure fit.
- It is made of Vylar-2 Engineered Leather, which provides resistance to cracks and is durable.
- The X-Static XT2, which is an anti-microbial technology, gives your protection from bacteria and it has anti-odor properties.
- Exclusive Hayabusa inner fabric gives you enhanced breathability and better ventilation. It also has thermo-regulating properties to give you absolute comfort.
- It is available only in a single color unlike some other brand, which have a range of attractive colors to choose from.
- Some users may find that the foam is stiff but this does give better back protection.
3. Everlast Everfresh Head Gear
This flexible and versatile headgear from Everlast can be used for boxing, kickboxing as well as other martial arts.
It is long lasting, well constructed and it also ensures that the products are safe and smelling fresh due to its anti microbial treatment.
- This headgear is rugged and resilient
- It fits great as it comes with adjustable chinstraps and a basket style head that you can adjust.
- The adjustable closure makes sure that it fits most adult head sizes.
- The cheek protectors provide excellent visibility while maintaining maximum safety.
- You need not have to worry about odor or bacteria as its anti-microbial technology prevents all this.
- Some users may not like the feel of synthetic leather as compared to genuine leather.
- Headgear’s straps are made of suede, which may tend to smell if you tend to have long, sweaty sessions.
- It’s padding may feel too solid for some users. Boxers and fighters have even complained of headache after using this headgear.
4. Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard
Pu Leather Sanda Boxing Head Guard Headgear is a great choice if you are a beginner.
This headgear is a full-face head guard, which gives you optimum protection. Its thick padding makes sure that you don’t feel the impact of the punches.
It is made with high quality PU leather and it is available in a choice of red or blue color.
- It has a thick, high density padding on high impact zones and it protects you well as it has multi-layered padding.
- The side temple and ears are well protected due to the integrated protection feature.
- You do not need to worry about reduced visibility as it is designed to ensure that your peripheral vision is not compromised.
- You can easily adjust this headgear with the help of its Velcro fasteners.
- Since the headgear is made of PU leather, it may tend to feel synthetic. The foam may also feel stiff.
We take headgear seriously. As more researches emerges about the danger of repeated head trauma, the need for quality head gear is vital to anyone who want to train and compete in combat sports.
With our in-depth reviews on the best headgear available today, we hope to make the decision of buying a good headgear for you an easy one. We look at some of the best products, their best features as well as well as their not so great features.
We have been wrestlers and martial arts enthusiasts since college and our love and passion for boxing has only grown in all these years. We know the importance of having a gear that you can count on.
The search for good quality gear and apparel for training led us to help fellow combat athletes to find the best quality gear for martial arts training.
Our review process:
Basically we aggregate two kinds of data:
- Existing User reviews – we take what people think about the product. Users who have been using the product for a few months/years and find what they think about it.
- Field Tests – We test the majority of the products we review, the other ones are third party reviews from our friends at other gyms.
Boxing Headgear Buying Guide
- Right Size
- Right Type
- Different Brands
Headgear is available in different sizes and it is important to choose the right size for you. When you try it on, your head should not feel trapped. It should not be uncomfortable and it should cradle your head.
The headgear should not compress the sides or the front and back of your head. You should be able to move your head well.
There are different types of headgear such as training headgear and competition headgear. Each has its own purpose.
If you have decided to buy a headgear then you must keep in mind that it is meant to protect your head and it should not hurt you in any way.
Trying to save money by buying a brand that is not reputed is a decision that could cost you in the long run. Not only is this dangerous but wearing cheaper quality headgear could be dangerous. Good quality headgear is long lasting, safe and it is a far better option than the cheaper ones that may cause damage to your head. Don’t cheap out on headgear! It’s your damn brain we are talking about here!
Ease of use of fasteners:
The fasteners are the parts that come open when your wear the headgear. It is also used for tightening the headgear in place. The two kinds that are available are the Velcro or lace up fasteners.
The Velcro design makes it easy to put on and take off the headgear. They are extremely popular and are considered to be a best option for training.
On the other hand, using lace up fasteners give you a snug and secure fit but using them especially if you are training alone, can be difficult. You can use these if you have a coach or trainer to help you fasten the headgear.
Good headgear will ensure perfect visibility and not in any way impede your line of vision. Keep that in mind.
A great option is using an open face headgear but it might compromise your safety. So, you will have to find the balance between protection and visibility.
Our Final Thoughts on Getting Great Headgear
Buying the perfect headgear that is suited to your needs is important. What is more important is buying something that is comfortable, durable and tough that will not only help you stay safe but also perform better. Finding a product with superior safety, fantastic features and perfect price may be tough but we managed to do all that and more in our review.
Though the debate whether you should wear headgear or not has been a long-standing one. The fact of the matter remains that wearing a headgear greatly increases the safety factor and you should always prioritize safety when it comes to boxing.
A list of the different gear and equipment that is essential for boxing:
There is a wide range of boxing gear and equipment available today and it is great to know the ones that are essential for the sport as well as for your safety.
Here is a list of some of them items you must consider knowing about and buying.
- Heavy Bag Gloves or Sparring Gloves
- Boxing Gloves
- Mouth guard
- Devices for timing rounds
- Skipping Rope
- Exercise Mat
- Speed Bag
- Focus Mitts/Pads
There are many companies and brands that manufacture these goods and each of them has some specialized features. Whichever ones you choose to buy, it is important to buy the best quality products as they are for your own safety.