If you’re a woman training any martial art, it can be difficult to find gear that fits you properly. Everything from boxing gloves to gis are often made for men or “unisex” (which means they also need to fit men), so it can be very frustrating to shop for something that isn’t necessarily meant to fit your body type.
A lot of women end up buying men’s gis anyway, but sometimes this isn’t an option, especially if you have a large bust size or very narrow shoulders or hips. Some particularly petite women will use gis made for children, but they can also be uncomfortable if they sleeves and pant legs are a bit too short.
|1||Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Gi - Ultra Light Women's Aeroweave - IBJJF Competition Approved Lightweight...||7 Reviews||$119.95||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Elite Sports New Item IBJJF Ultra Light BJJ Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gi w/Preshrunk Fabric & Free Belt...||1,201 Reviews||$56.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Sanabul Core Competition Brazilian Jiu Jitsu BJJ Gi (See Special Sizing Guide) (Black/Blue, A1)||41 Reviews||$75.48||Buy on Amazon|
If you’re wearing a gi that is either too small or too big, then it can be both distracting and restrictive. A gi that is too big can fall off, get tangled or be used against you by your opponent. One that it is too small can restrict your range of movement, not allowing you to get into positions or out of holds that you would be able to if not for your ill-fitting attire.
Fortunately, there are companies that make gis specifically for women, but you’ll have to look around a bit first to find them. You want to make sure that your gi is made for your body type, and the jacket is the first place to see this. A women’s gi should fit a woman’s narrow shoulders and slimmer waist. You should also have enough room to fit a larger bust, and your sleeves should not be too long or too short. If you have a proper fitting jacket, then you’ll be much better off when you’re training or competing.
If your gi fits you properly and is made for you as a woman, then you will feel more comfortable when you’re training and competing allowing you to focus on what you’re doing instead of what you are wearing. There are still a few things to consider before buying your gi.
- 0.1 What to consider when buying a woman’s jiu jitsu gi
- 0.2 Top Pick of the Best BJJ Gis for Women
- 0.3 Table showing the specifications of the different brands of BJJ Gi for Women
- 0.4 The products that we have reviewed
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice: Tatami Ladies Nova Giis
- 2 Our review of the next choice picks
- 3 2. Venum Challenger 2.0 Women BJJ Gi
- 4 3. Tatami Women’s Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Gi
- 5 4. Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi
What to consider when buying a woman’s jiu jitsu gi
- Weight- Just like with a man’s gi, there are different weights that you can choose from. It will mostly depend on what you want to do with your jiu jitsu and your personal preference. If you are going to compete, then you want to have a gi that is light enough so that you can weigh in without having to worry about cutting too many pounds. When you compete in a gi competition, you will weigh in while wearing your gi, so lighter is better. Lightweight gis also dry quicker and are easier to carry. A heavier gi will be thicker and a bit more difficult for your opponent to grab, and it also will withstand damage a bit better. For a woman, lighter is usually better because the gi will tend to fit your frame without weighing you down.
- Cut– This will also be dependent on your personal preference and whether or not you plan on competing. If you do want to compete, then you will have to meet organization regulations. If you don’t want to compete, then you should get a cut that you feel most comfortable in. You’ll want to get a cut that covers your chest and fits your shoulders, hips and waits properly. It is all up to how you feel when you are training. Find the cut that allows you to have the best movement and the most comfort.
- Brand– Some brands simply do not provide a good gi for women, so you want to make sure that you choose one that does. Also, brands differ in quality, cost and style. You can find a good brand that you like that will fit your budget and last you a long time, so shop around until you find the right brand for you. Once you have a brand that you like, you might be able to buy a few gis from the same company without worrying about getting something you don’t like.
- Style– Many jiu jitsu athletes have bright and flashy gis to match their own personal style. You’ll see people training in bright colors, designs and patches all loading up the space on their gi. On the other hand, a lot of athletes prefer to be more subdued and simple with their gi (most simple gis are either white, blue or black), and leave all of the flashy stuff off of the mat. You can train in whichever you prefer, but you should check with your tournament if they will allow you to compete in a bright gi covered in patches. If you need a plain gi but want a loud one, then make sure you have one of each. Woman’s gis are often smaller and cut to fit more narrow bodies, but they still leave enough room to add patches if you want to.
We know that finding the right gi can be difficult, and being a woman and looking for something specific makes it even more so. We reviewed some of our favorite gis to help you on your search so that you can have the right fitting and best gi for you. Here is our list of the best bjj gis for women.
Top Pick of the Best BJJ Gis for Women
One common question that is generally asked is which GI would we recommend as the topmost or the best among all the female BJJ gis present in the market? Well! Our answer to this would be the Tatami Ladies Nova 2015 Gi. Minimalistic in style, it is best suited for beginners. You can pick this up without second thoughts.
The number of manufacturers making Brazilian Jiu-jitsu gear and apparel has increased manifold. The advantage to you is that there are many models for you to choose from. But the downside of it is, you are at a loss, not knowing which BJJ gi to choose from.
And here is where we step in. Fret not! It is not such a daunting task! Check out this comparison of some of the Best BJJ gi for Women. You can easily find something that you like and in which you can train in BJJ, well.
The table highlights the brands that we have reviewed and some top features.
Table showing the specifications of the different brands of BJJ Gi for Women
|Tatami Ladies Nova 2015 Gi||Lightweight||High Tech Weave||Designed for beginners and experts
Minimalist and athletic design
|Venum Challenger 2.0 Women BJJ Gi||Lightweight||Pearl Weave||Ideal for beginners and experts
Preshrunk cotton fabric
|Tatami Women’s Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Gi||Lightweight||Pearl Weave||Specially designed with a women’s fit.
Sublimated neck lining.
|Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi||Lightweight||Single Weave||Design highlights – Shorter arms, tapered sleeves, tapered pants, and thinner waist line
Suitable for BJJ Training and Competition
The products that we have reviewed
We have reviewed some of the best brands that manufacture great Gi for women. Some of these brands include Tatami, Fuji, and Venum. The Tatami and Fuji brands have great all round Gi for both men and women, with ideal athletic cuts. Venum has been producing some awesome MMA gear, with great specifications. Here are the products that we have chosen as our best picks.
List of products:
- Tatami Ladies Nova 2015 Gi
- Venum Challenger 2.0 Women BJJ Gi
- Tatami Women’s Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Gi
- Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi
1. Editor’s Choice: Tatami Ladies Nova Giis
Tatami brand has developed some superb Brazilian Jiu-jitsu gear for women. This particular model is minimalist in style. And hence, it is very well suited for beginners. In fact, even experts in BJJ prefer this BJJ Gi. When we spoke to some users, they were quite happy with their Tatami Nova gi.
The quality of construction and the fabric is great. There is no compromise here and this shows on the overall quality of the product. That is why there are many happy users out there! Check out the features of this awesome product.
- High tech weave jacket with 425gsm
- Designed for beginners and experts
- Rubberized collar
- Minimalist and athletic design
- There is a double reinforced knee padding
- It is triple stitched across all stress points
- Nice embroidery designs
- Rope drawstring for easy fastening of the cotton twill pants.
- Available in F1 to F 4 sizes
- Highly durable.
- Great design, with athletic women’s cut.
- Gives you an optimized fit
- The rubber collar helps in prevention of sweat and bacteria absorption
- Very affordable
A few questions answered
- What is GSM, as in jacket with 425gsm?
GSM is nothing but grams per square meter. This unit of measurement is frequently used in the textile industry to describe the weight of the fabric. When it comes to BJJ gi too, this unit is used to describe the weight of the BJJ jacket.
The smaller the GSM number, the lighter is the gi/jacket. If the GSM number is high, like around 1000, then it is considered as a very heavy piece of apparel.
- Does the weave make in difference in the weight of the gi?
To some extent, the weave of the fabric also has an impact on the weight. For example, a single weave jacket will be even lighter in weight when compared to the double weave jacket of the same GSM of fabric.
- So, is the Tatami Ladies Nova 2015jacket lightweight?
Yes, it is lightweight.
Our review of the next choice picks
Here is adetailed analysis of the other choice picks of Brazilian Jiu-jitsugis, designed for women. It has been our observation, that these BJJ gis are almost similar in features to the male versions of the BJJ gis produced by these brands. The main difference is the slimmer and trimmer fit, designed to suit to a woman’s body. The gis made for women are not very bulky and come with tapered ends.
2. Venum Challenger 2.0 Women BJJ Gi
If you train every day in BJJ, then go for this gi from Venum. The design is perfect and ideal for everyday usage. You will feel very comfortable wearing this gi and training in it.
The gi is designed with a pearl weave and is light in weight with only 410 gsm strength. It is available in sizes F1 to F4.
- Premium Pearl Weave cotton fabric
- Rope lacefastening system
- Reinforced collar
- Sublimated polyester inner lining at the collar
- Embroidery on the logos
- Available in sizes F1 to F4.
- It is lightweight.
- Very comfortable.
- Available in all sizes.
- All the stress areas like the collar, shoulders, cuffs, knees are reinforced, making it easy for rolling.
- Better moisture management, due to the inner lining near the collar.
- The size of the gi tends to run short. It is always best to check carefully before you purchase your gi.
A few questions answered
Is fit very important in choosing a BJJ Gi for women?
The fit is one of the foremost factors that you should consider while choosing your BJJ Gi. Going in a for a women’s cut BJJ Gi makes it more comfortable for you. Training and even competing in it will be super easy. A BJJ gi should not be tight, but fitted and comfortable.
3. Tatami Women’s Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Gi
The Tatami Women’s Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Giis another great product from the Tatami brand with some really nice features that will make you want to give it at least one shot. However, they are on the expensive side.
This gi features a world-class design on a lightweight 550GSM Pearl Weave Jacket. The pants are ripstop pants, which are very durable in their make. The inner sublimated lining at the neck and collar region helps in better moisture management.
- Has 550GSM Pearl Weave Jacket with 12oz Canvas Pants
- Has a unique Y-shaped jacket vent.
- Inner sublimated lining at the neck and collar region
- Great quality design and stitching
- Sturdy and soft material
- Despite the great features, this BJJ gi is expensive.
- Shrinkage can be expected. Hence, care should be taken.
4. Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi
If you want great price combined with great quality, then Fuji is the brand that you should certainly check out. The Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi is a gi that is specially designed for women. Fuji has taken the help of Judo legend and rising MMA Superstar Ronda Rousey in designing this BJJ gi. Hence, you can be rest assured that the fit will be more defining for women and comfortable as well.
The attractive features of this gi are the slightly shorter arms, tapered sleeves, tapered pants, and thinner waist line. If these are the main attributes that you want in your gi, then you should go for the Fuji All-Around Pink BJJ Gi. All these attributes give you the most comfortable feel, without having loose and wide ends.
Another interesting aspect is the presence of embroidered Breast Cancer Ribbon on the gi, lending support to breast cancer research.
- Made of 100% cotton material
- Superior quality stitching
- Have tapered sleeves, tapered pants, and thinwaistline
- Available in women’s sizes W1 – W6
- Great for BJJ and judo training and BJJ competition.
- Affordable pricing
- IBJJF approved
- Even though the fabric is preshrunk, care should be taken, as there is some shrinkage that is noticed.
A few questions answered
Is the Fuji BJJ Gi suitable for use in hot weather?
Yes, of course! As it is light in weight, it is very comfortable and can be used in hot weather.
How is the sizing?
Take a look at the sizes and the specifications.
|Size||Good for Height –||Good for Weight –|
|W1||5’2″ – 5’5″||110-140 lbs.|
|W2||5’5″ – 5’9″||140-170 lbs.|
|W3||5’9″ – 6’1″||160-200 lbs.|
|W4||6’0″ – 6’4″||200-250 lbs.|
|W5||6’0″ – 6’4″||225-275 lbs.|
|W6||6’2″ – 6’6″||250-300 lbs.|
Whether you’re going to compete regularly or you’re just looking to train a few times a week, you’ll still want to have a gi that is made to fit your body and not a man or a child. You have different shoulders, hips, bust and waist sizes, so you don’t want to be wearing a gi that doesn’t cover or hug those parts properly. Having the wrong fitting attire can be incredibly distracting and uncomfortable, so finding the right one for you can be really important.
When you’re shopping for your gi, then you should make sure first that you buy one that is made for women. Then decide what you want to use the gi for (competition or training), and know what your personal preferences are. Then you can begin shopping for the gi that is a style and brand you like, the proper weight and the right cut. If you have something that you feel comfortable in, then you can feel focused and prepared when you are performing instead of uncomfortable, restricted and distracted.
Having a bjj gi that fits you as a woman can change your entire game, so choose carefully when picking the right one for you.