The Venum Contender Boxing Gloves are my top pick. For anyone who has used them before this doesn’t come as a big surprise. They provide great value, versatility and are built to last.
These gloves are designed keeping the beginners in mind. They can be used for heavy bag training, sparring, mitt work or fitness class. Their multi-functionality makes them a great choice for beginners.
|1||Pro Style Boxing Gloves-Black 16oz (PR)||3,041 Reviews||$27.48||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Sanabul Essential Boxing Gloves Pink 8-OZ||1,715 Reviews||$19.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Everlast Mixed Martial Arts Heavy Bag Gloves (L/XL)||$14.99||Buy on Amazon|
Venum is a well-known brand that manufactures apparel and equipment for various combat sports such as boxing, mixed martial arts, karate etc. Their products are used all over the world and they have built a reputation as one of the earlier companies in the sport producing quality products. With a combination of performance and great design, this pair of gloves is another product from Venum that is a winner.
- 1 Editor’s Choice – Venum Contender Boxing Gloves (Best Value)
- 2 Our Best Value and Quality Boxing Gloves for Newbies
- 3 2. Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Gloves – 16oz
- 4 3. Hayabusa Sport 16oz Training Gloves
- 5 4. Hypnotik Base Training Boxing Gloves
Editor’s Choice – Venum Contender Boxing Gloves (Best Value)
These gloves are durable and affordably priced too. They look great and come in a wide variety of colors. These gloves have been repeatedly rated as the best beginner boxing gloves by other review websites.
- It is made of 100% high quality leather, which makes it very durable.
- The multi density foam is perfect for absorbing shock.
- The Velcro closure is large and it helps you to get a secure fit.
- The design of these gloves has a full-attached thumb, which minimizes injury.
- It has a curved anatomical design.
- The versatility of these gloves is their stand out feature. They can be used for a variety of training needs .
- These gloves will last you for a long time as they are made of 100% premium synthetic leather.
- With its multi-density foam padding, your hands will always be safe. The high impact areas of your hands like your knuckles will be well protected against powerful hits.
- Having Velcro straps, which are large; ensure a snug and comfortable fit. The straps are not elastic but are wraparound. This makes it easy to wear and take off.
- The curved anatomical design helps in promoting the proper technique when punching. This is especially important for beginners. It also helps to avoid wrist and hand injuries.
- It is available in different sizes and colors for you to choose from.
Size chart for the Venum Contender Boxing Gloves:
|Size||Weight in KG and pounds
|8oz||Under 46kg / Under 101 pounds
|10oz||46-54 kg / 101-120 pounds
|12oz||55-68 kg / 121-150 pounds
|14oz||69-82 kg / 151-180 pounds
|16oz||Above 83 kg / Above 181 pounds
A Few Things to Remember
One of the most basic requirements is a a pair of safe and comfortable gloves. Beginners often don’t realize that gloves come in different varieties:
As a newbie, you need category three- multifunctional gloves that allow you to spar, hit pads and also do bag work.
Unless you want to spend 2 X the money, I don’t see the need for anyone to buy different pairs of gloves. Stick with a simple multifunctional pair of gloves and you’ll be good to go.
Our review process is pretty straightforward. As a gym owner I have bought a lot of beginner gloves especially for our kids program and have, over the years, testing many pairs out.
Off the bat, I’d advise not purchasing some Walmart crap that will eventually get worn out, not protect your hands and will definitely smell terrible after a few months. A good pair of gloves can last you ten years easily (I have a pair of muay thai gloves that are twenty years old).
For these reviews, we also went through hundreds of Amazon reviews to find the best quality gloves based on users experience.
Boxing Glove Size Chart
How to choose the right pair of gloves for beginners?
If you are a beginner in the world of boxing, buying the perfect gloves is the most essentialtask to do. Apart from different brands, there are also different styles, weights and prices to choose from. Don’t get confused! Take a quick look at the chart to get a better understanding.
Here we have a set of general guidelines to make sure that you find a pair of gloves perfectly suited for your individual needs.
- Right size:
The most common gloves sizes are 8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 14oz and 16oz. They are classified to
determine what glove weight you should be training in. Knowing your glove weight is important, as it must fit the method you choose to use it for.
- Right fit:
When you choose a pair of gloves, they must feel snug and comfortable. The fingertips should be able to reach the top of your gloves and you should be able to make a fist easily. The gloves should feel comfortable and have excellent cushioning.
Your hands should not hurt after connecting with a punch. They should perfectly fit your hand, wrist and fingers.
- Amount of padding:
The amount of padding on the gloves depends on the protection that you are going to need. Larger gloves have more padding and hence offer better protection. They are best used to hit heavy bags, mitts and belly protectors.
Professional boxers usually train in heavier gloves. This helps them get used to the weight of the heavy gloves so that their hands are faster on fight night.
- Different types:
There are different types of gloves and each has their own purpose. It is extremely important to know the type of glove you need so you make the best purchase without wasting your money.
Here are some guidelines to help you choose the best type of gloves:
|Purpose||What to Buy
|Traditional Martial Arts||More flexible gloves
|Hitting heavy bags or mitts only||Bag Gloves
|Sparring||Heavy gloves (14oz and up)
|Mitt Work||Lighter gloves (10oz and below)
|All Around Use||All-purpose training gloves
Some tips to remember:
- All-purpose training gloves are highly recommended as starter gloves for beginners.
- All gloves have a break-in period. After you purchase a pair, train with them and give them a couple of weeks to conform to the fit of your hands. Don’t give up on them quickly even if they feel slightly constraining at first.
- Wash them every 2-3 months to avoid bacterial buildup.
Our Best Value and Quality Boxing Gloves for Newbies
|Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Gloves - 16oz||16oz ||Enhanced wrist support
Enhanced breathability and better ventilation
Anti microbial technology
|Hayabusa Sport 16oz Training Gloves||16oz ||Triple-layered padding for protection
Adjustable wrist strap for comfort and support
Breathable inner lining to keep gloves dry and smelling fresh
Made of 100% engineered leather
|Hypnotik Base Training Boxing Gloves||8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 14oz, 16oz ||Wide Velcro wraparound strap
Made of 100% Hi tech Engineered Leather
2. Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Gloves – 16oz
The Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis Boxing Gloves – 16oz is a product that comes with some unbelievable features and at an even more unbelievable price. It gives you enhanced wrist support and superior protection. Its ergonomic design does not put any awkward strain on your thumb or wrist.
- It has a patented Dual-X Wrist Closure and Fusion Splinting technology for great wrist support.
- Delta-EG Inner Core with advanced Crush Zone complex work to absorb energy and keeps hands protected.
- The X-Static XT2, an anti-microbial technology keeps odor away.
- The Hayabusa inner fabric gives you improved ventilation and great comfort.
- It is made of Vylar-2 Engineered Leather, which is resistant to cracks in the long run.
- It is well designed and combines durability and comfort.
- The excellent padding on these gloves makes it well suited for heavy bag.
- With its improved ventilation, this pair of gloves is incredibly comfortable and extremely breathable.
- It is constructed with innovative SweatX thumb, an ultra soft microfiber suede designed for perspiration management.
- Its anti microbial technology keeps odor and bacteria away.
- It is available in a variety of colors.
- Some users may find it a bit overpriced.
- The Velcro straps may be difficult to put on without using your teeth to close the straps.
3. Hayabusa Sport 16oz Training Gloves
The Hayabusa Sport 16oz Training Gloves give you great protection and wrist support to prevent injuries. It is a great basic budget boxing glove, which is the perfect choice for beginners. They are affordable and comfortable. With its adequate padding, they are used mostly for casual training.
- It has triple-Layered Padding for protection.
- The elastic strap on this pair of gloves is fully adjustable.
- The ultra-soft inner lining keeps odor and sweat away.
- It is made of durable 100% engineered leather.
- It is ideal for kickboxing and bag work.
- The triple-layer padding gives you optimal shock absorbency and energy dissipation so your hands are always protected.
- The hook and loop elastic strap is fully adjustable. It is also easy to put on and take off. It also provides support for your wrist from injuries.
- The inner lining keeps you dry and comfortable as these gloves are well ventilated. Your gloves will always smell fresh.
- It is a budget glove for light use and beginners.
- These gloves might not be comfortable for people with large hands.
- The padding is good for casual training. It cannot be used for serious hard, training, as the padding might not give you adequate protection.
- They can be used for heavy bag but they are not really suitable for sparring, as the padding is not adjusted for that.
- The Velcro straps may come undone with excessive use.
4. Hypnotik Base Training Boxing Gloves
The Hypnotik Base Training Boxing Gloves are designed to be the best for beginners. With different sizes and attractive colors to choose from, everyone can find the glove best suited to their needs and personality.
- It has a wide Velcro wraparound strap.
- It has a foam padding that is made of just one piece which makes it really light weight
- The new tech developed pre-curved design makes sure your hands fit well inside and are protected.
- It has a lightweight construction, which helps you train and fight longer and harder.
- It is available in different sizes and attractive colors to choose from.
- The polyester fabric lining can cause the perspiration to get trapped inside leading to odor and bacteria.
Different types of gloves are used for various training activities. Also different brands can have a huge difference in terms of quality, fit and functionality. Finding the perfect pair of gloves as you begin your boxing journey means finding a balance of all these qualities at a great price.
Among all the products that we reviewed our top pick would be the Venum Contender Boxing Gloves. It is ideal for beginners as well as advanced users. It is also a great choice for boxing and fitness boxing enthusiasts.
It can be used for multiple purposes and it gives you unmatched protection and performance. It greatly reduces your risk of injury and all this comes at an affordable price. If you are looking for a pair of gloves that will help you progress at your own pace, then the Venum Contender Boxing Gloves are for you.