Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino Superfight Headlines Grapplers Quest in New Jersey this Weekend
Grapplers Quest, one of the world's largest grappling submission tournaments, will host a superfight featuring New Jersey native and Ultimate Fighting Championship and Bellator veteran Kurt "Batman" Pellegrino against former lightweight title contender Joe "Daddy" Stevenson on Saturday, July 21.
The event will also distribute $14,250 in cash and prizes for the 2012 U.S. National Championships, sponsored by Gaspari Nutrition, when the tournament invades the William G. Mennen Sports Arena (located at 161 E. Hanover Avenue) in Morristown, New Jersey on Saturday and Sunday. The mega-fight on Saturday, an exciting Submission-Only rematch from UFC 74 between Pelligrino and Stevenson, starts at 1:00 p.m.
All featured superfights will now showcase new "Grapplers Quest Professional Rules," which include a 10-minute submission only round, if necessary, followed by a five-minute overtime round using Grapplers Quest rules.
"This is the evolution of the sport of grappling and I'm honored to have two UFC veterans take the stage," said Grapplers Quest founder and owner Brian Cimins. "We just debuted this at UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas and it yielded the most exciting superfights in grappling history. Grappling is now ready for the highest sports television."
Pellegrino, once a near contender for the UFC lightweight title, lost his mixed martial arts contest to Stevenson back at UFC 74 in August 2007 via unanimous decision.
While this is not an official mixed martial arts contest, Pellegrino is currently riding a three-fight losing streak whereas opponent, Stevenson has lost five consecutive bouts. "Daddy" fought B.J. Penn for the UFC lightweight strap at UFC 80 in January 2008 before being submitted in the second round.
The July 21-22 event begins each day at 10:00 a.m. with discounted spectator tickets and Fighter Registration available online at http://GrapplersQuest.com.
All advanced division champions (including children, teen, men, women, executive and masters advanced divisions) and all absolute divisions will be awarded custom made championship belts, in addition to the largest medallions in the sport of grappling, sponsored by Gaspari Nutrition, Zebra Mats and TapouT, plus a full color champion certificate.
Grapplers Quest's massive event growth, especially in the youth grappling, has expanded children and teen divisions to include beginner (less than 9 months training), intermediate (9-18 months of training) and advanced (18 months or more of training) skill levels to allow for more evenly matched competitions.
In 2010, Grapplers Quest added age categories for grappling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to include under 6 years, 7-9 years, 10-12 years and teens separately into two groups, as well 13-15 years and 16-17 years, plus any divisions that have two or more girls will branch out and become a bonus division to allow female athletes extra matches as well.The two-day tournament will feature all adult (18+) no-gi submission grappling and wrestling divisions on Sat., (July 21), doors open at 8:00 a.m., followed Sunday (July 22) with the U.S. Nationals for all children and teens divisions, plus all adult Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo divisions.
"More than 10 million fans on YouTube at LiveGrappling.com want more submissions and this event nearly guarantees that. It's going to be the best Superfight tournament, featuring the highest level of exciting talent to date," Cimins said.
- All men, women, teen, children and executive and masters no-gi advanced weight classes receive these and custom medallions for 1st-3rd Place for all other divisions
- $3,000 prize package value for no-gi men's advanced absolute: $1,000 cash absolute plus compete free for life
- $2,750 prize package value for no-gi women's no-gi advanced absolute: $250 cash plus plus compete free for life
- $2,750 prize package value for no-gi men's intermediate absolute: $250 cash plus compete free for life
- $2,650 prize package value for no-gi men's beginner absolute: $150 cash plus compete free for life
- $2,600 prize package value for no-gi men's novice absolute: $100 cash plus compete free for lifeDiscount competitor registration starting at just $99 (ends Wednesday, July 18) includes:
- Free seminar with Joe "Daddy" Stevenson (Sunday, July 22 from 10:00-11:00 a.m. - $100.00 value)
- Full access to U.S. National Championships and superfight ($15.00 value)
- Free Grapplers Quest at UFC Fan Expo Fighter T-Shirt by TapouT ($35.00)
- $20.00 off at-the-door pricing
- $1.00 donated to http://AutismRadio.org per pre-registered competitor
- Free XBOX Kinect raffle for ALL children and teen competitors
Registration savings end: Wednesday, July 18 at 11:59 p.m., PST. Space is limited - register today right here. Fighter registration and tickets will also be available at the door.Two-Day passes are now available for only $15.00 ($7.50 per day). Spectators may save $25.00 off at-the-door ticket prices ($20.00 per day) for the Grapplers Quest U.S. National Championships, featuring the Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino Submission Superfight, and are on sale now.