Maryland Cage Combat: Darren Costa, Robert Sullivan, and Gregory Saumenig Bring Home Titles
The region's emerging young amateurs in mixed martial arts put their talents on display Saturday, June 23, in front of a passionate local crowd at Maryland Cage Combat at the Maryland Sportsplex in Millersville, Maryland.
Twelve fights, including three title fights, made up the card and included all competitors wearing shin guards and following the rules of amateur MMA, which meant no kicks to the head and no strikes with the elbow. But there was no shortage of action at Saturday's event, despite the difference in rules.
The three title fights included Darren Costa scoring a second-round arm triangle submission victory over Cameron McClaney, which secured Costa the 205-pound title. Robert Sullivan dominated Josh Trainor en route to winning the 135-pound title via unanimous decision and Gregory Saumening choked out Ricky Bass in round three to win Maryland Cage Combat's super featherweight title.
Other notable performances on Saturday's card including a battle of two massive heavyweights, which ended very quickly when Rodney Sigley knocked out Justin Faithful in just 20 seconds. Charles Gambill also notched an extremely quick victory, forcing Shaun Garzuties to tap to a guillotine choke in just 43 seconds.
The rest of Saturday's card turned out as follows:
- 155 lbs.: Tom McDonald def. Adrian Smith by submission (armbar) at 2:52 in Round 1.
- 170 lbs.: Dustin Thursby def. Ray Sydnor by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:32 in Round 1.
- 155 lbs.: Daniel West def. Albert Birckhead by TKO (strikes) at 2:18 in Round 3.
- 185 lbs.: Evan Carpenter def. Eric Milks by TKO (strikes) at 1:44 in Round 1.
- 180 lbs.: Sean Kelly def. Robert Begley by submission (armbar) at 2:04 in Round 1.
- 170 lbs.: Mike Santini def. Leonard Poe by split decision.
- 160 lbs.: Brandon Johnson def. Maurice Fleming by split decision.
Photo courtesy Greg Saumenig