• You Are Here
  • Forum Header
  • Discussion on national level combat sports events.
littleac25
Grasshopper

when to fight

#15796 2 years, 3 months ago
I'm a 16 year old male looking to get into MMA. I have boxing and wrestling experience. My weight now is 154lbs and i'm about 5' 7". i also know a fighter that could help me. I was just wondering how old you have to be to get into amateur fighting. I'm very focused on fighting and have been trying to get into it for a wile. If anyone has advice or tips please let me know.
dwiz1984
Grasshopper

Re: when to fight

#15798 2 years, 3 months ago
honestly, I think you have to be 18 to be even eligible to compete. sorry, man. I suppose just continued training and wait for your opportunity.
Steve Jorgensen
Warrior
Check out www.sjnutrition.net!!!

#15799 2 years, 3 months ago
dwiz1984 wrote:
honestly, I think you have to be 18 to be even eligible to compete. sorry, man. I suppose just continued training and wait for your opportunity.

Is this Dwight?!?! lol

But to answer your question, I believe you can fight under 18 at amateur if a parent signs a waiver with you saying you can.

Also you really should train for mma for probably 2 years, before you fight. Wrestling and boxing are good, but that doesn't cover if you get put on your back, kicking, and other stuff.
MCC
Grasshopper

#15807 2 years, 3 months ago
To answer your questions....

As far as how old you need to be, it depends on the state regulation. In WI, you need to be 18 and licensed with the department of regulation and licencing in order to fight mma in the cage.

You can however, compete in Kickboxing and Pankration. Pankration is full contact mma that is non-regulated and for all ages. They have different rules than standard mma but it is a great way to get started. There is also opportunities for worldwide travel through their national organization.

As far as how long you need to train....

It really depends on a couple of things:
1) Your natural skills
2) Your experience level
3) The gym you train at

I would highly recommend you find a good gym with a knowledgeable instructor who can help you navigate the waters of mma.

Feel free to contact me if you need any other assistance.

Paul Metz
Metz's Martial Arts Academy
Metz's Combat Club
920-683-9772 (call or txt)
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds
US Combat Sports Facebook US Combat Sports Twitter US Combat Sports YouTube US Combat Sports RSS Feed MMA Recap