Footwear is an integral part of any sport like other accessories. The Combat Speed 4 wrestling shoes from Adidas has us drooling over the various color options it offers. Who said wrestling has to be all about muscles and moves? Adidas aims to infuse some color and fun into this otherwise perceived to be rough and tough sport.
The sock like fit with the rubber soles is just perfect for the sport. You won’t feel the weight but it won’t slip like socks either.
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice: Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoes
- 2 2. Adidas HVC Men’s Lace Up Wrestling Shoes
- 3 3. ASICS Men’s Cael V7.0 Wrestling Shoe
- 4 4. ASICS Men’s Matflex 5 Wrestling Shoe
- 5 5. ASICS Men’s JB Elite Wrestling Shoe
- 6 6. Adidas HVC 2 Wrestling Shoe
Using the right shoes within the ring is extremely important as a small slip can cost you not just the match but can result in serious injury too. Keeping this in mind, we have finalized our list of best shoes for wrestling with inputs from other wrestlers and experienced coaches.
Here is a comparison table of six of the best shoes in the market today
Product Sole Benefits
Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoes Split suede leather sole Sock like fitting
Adidas HVC Men’s Lace Up Wrestling Shoes Full length synthetic sole Lightweight, well ventilated and perfect fitting
ASICS Men’s Cael V7.0 Wrestling Shoe Split sole – rubber Ecsain synthetic leather and mesh provides high levels of comfort
ASICS Men’s Matflex 5 Wrestling Shoe Full length gum rubber sole Low price range
ASICS Men’s JB Elite Wrestling Shoe Split sole – rubber Rubber split sole with seamless TPU overlays
Adidas HVC 2 Wrestling Shoe Full length rubber sole Cheapest of the shoes on this list
Products Reviewed By Us
After getting detailed inputs from a number of wrestlers in various stages of their careers, we finalized on these five shoes that satisfy the important parameters in a wrestling shoe.
- Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoes
- Adidas HVC Men’s Lace Up Wrestling Shoes
- ASICS Men’s Cael V7.0 Wrestling Shoe
- ASICS Men’s Matflex 5 Wrestling Shoe
- ASICS Men’s JB Elite Wrestling Shoe
- Adidas HVC 2 Wrestling Shoe
1. Editor’s Choice: Adidas Men’s Combat Speed 4 Wrestling Shoes
When you are in the wrestling ring, every second counts and you cannot afford to miss any due to wrong shoes that cause you to slip. That fraction of a second slip is good enough for your opponent to take advantage of. Before you know it, you have lost the lead. Being this the case, this particular shoe won our hearts and votes due to its rubberized sole and sock like fit.
The single layer of mesh is breathable and doesn’t cause you to sweat too much on your feet, which is again a no-no in wrestling as it will cause you to slip. The sock like fit along with a good shoe grip is just perfect to have a steady foot in the ring.
- Sock like fit with a single mesh layer
- TPU 3 stripes integrated with side panel for better stretch and fit
- Die cut EVA midsole
- Outsole made of split suede leather
- Available in 18 colors
- Imported leather
- Rubber sole
- Weighs about 2 pounds
- The sheer number of colors available for one to choose from is very impressive. Wrestlers can show their sense of style too.
- The TPU stripes and integrated side panel are flexible and contribute to the sock like fit of these shoes
- The leather outer sole offers the right amount of grip needed on the mat
- The die cut EVA mid sole ensures the user has enough and a firm grip at all times. The internal sole ensures supreme comfort
- The single layer of mesh does not only fit like a sock but allows enough ventilation and helps in maintain the body temperature of the user
- Getting the right size could be a challenge as it is not the same fit as the other Adidas wrestling shoes
- The new version is not as good as the earlier, original version
- The tongue is not of good quality and can get damaged very easily
- The die cut sole tends to attract a lot of dirt and dirty soles causes slipping
Other Shoes Reviewed By Us
Apart from the Combat Speed 4 wrestling shoes for men by Adidas, we found other shoes that are great for the sport too. Though not as perfect as the Combat Speed 4, they have their own advantages and reasons to feature on this list too. Here is a detailed review of each of them.
2. Adidas HVC Men’s Lace Up Wrestling Shoes
When it comes to wrestling the fit of the shoes is very important as you cannot let it slip off while you are busy trying to get your opponent on his back. Being this the case, the Adidas HVC lace up shoes is on the top of our list due to the lace up facility. The thick sole combined with the mesh body is just perfect for good ventilation and a firm grip on the floor.
- Made of breathable mesh fabric
- Thick synthetic sole
- Comes in two different colors
- Secured by lace
- Velcro closure around the ankle
Here are the reasons for these shoes to be so high up on our list
- The breathable fabric ensures your feet don’t get heated up after hours of practice not do they smell foul due to excess sweating.
- The thick man made sole gives a good grip on wooden flooring. It does not slip when pressure is exerted on it
- The shoes can be secured as tight as possible with the lace to ensure the shoe doesn’t slip off the feet
- Velcro closure around the ankle acts as extra closure and gives good support for the ankle
Here are some of the feature that are not so fascinating:
- The heavy bottom can cause the sole to come off after a few uses. This is because bending of the feet will put pressure against the sole and since it is thick and heavy, it will give way
- Though many sizes are available , getting the right size can be tricky as measurements vary when compared to other shoes in the market
- The shoes can be very narrow for broad feet and thus make it uncomfortable for long periods of use
3. ASICS Men’s Cael V7.0 Wrestling Shoe
Designed for a stylish and a classy look, these shoes from Asics are comfortable and pleasing to the eyes. Wrestling has found a place for itself in the sports world and is having innovative and cleaver designs to get more attention.
- Made of ecsaine synthetic leather and air mesh
- Single layer breathable tongue in a mesh design
- Innovative split sole made of rubber
- Comes in 5 different colors
- Pocket for extra lace
- The mesh fabric tongue is thin and provides good ventilation
- The split sole design offers ultimate comfort for the user and ensures they have a good grip on the mat or floor
- A compact lace pocket to keep the extra lace in place and ensure you don’t trip over your own lace
- The ecsaine synthetic leather finish helps in improving the performance and feels light and snug on the feet
- Noticeable size difference when compared other brands. Hence one cannot blindly order their usual size
- The tongue is long and can be uncomfortable when you are moving around
- Once laced, there is extra room/ bulge on the sides
4. ASICS Men’s Matflex 5 Wrestling Shoe
With a lace up design and made of both cloth and synthetic materials, these shoes offer comfort and better movement. The sole runs to the full length of the shoes, ensuring you get a good grip no matter where you land your foot. One cannot risk losing their footing in a combat sport as that could be the end of the match.
It is the second lowest priced shoes on this list and thus makes it very affordable.
- Made of both textile and leather
- Rubber sole runs to the full length of the shoes
- Breathable design
- Good traction
- Good support to the feet
- Full length rubber sole ensures a good traction and grip for your feet, which is very important in this sport
- Can be used even on laminated floors
- The mat flex® 5 provides very high level of comfort
- Priced low, these shoes won’t burn a hole in your pocket
- These are very light and durable that one does not feel any extra weight on their feet
- The shoes are narrow, thus making it uncomfortable for people with broad feet despite going in for a size bigger than usual
5. ASICS Men’s JB Elite Wrestling Shoe
Asics elite wrestling shoes are here on the list due to their integrated lace garage and the split sole design. We really like the split sole which offers better grip and lesser weight. The seamless TPU overlays make the shoes more comfortable without compromising on the brand’s quality.
- Split sole design
- Single layer mesh construction
- Integrated lace garage
- Seamless TPU overlays
- Synthetic material
- Rubber sole
- The split sole gives better flexibility for the feet and the grip offered is also much better
- Single mesh layer over the TPU overlays keeps the forefoot comfortable and well ventilated
- The integrated lace garage ensure the user does not trip over their own lace
- Thin tongue reduces the padding on the forefoot which increases the ventilation
- The rubber sole around the front part of the feet does not last long
- The designing of the shoes is not very impressive and is less appealing than many others in the market
- The material does not last long and tends to give way within a few uses
6. Adidas HVC 2 Wrestling Shoe
The lowest priced shoes in our list but is last on the list as it is not well equipped and designed like the other shoes reviewed above. It is very affordable and perfect for those who are not too sure about spending too much on shoes as they are new to the sport.
Simple classic designed shoes for comfort and good grip. A basic shoe for this sport which is definitely ranked high when compared to other shoes in the market, by our wrestlers.
- Made of synthetic suede and synthetic leather
- Rubber sole runs to the full length of the shoes
- Lace strap to keep the lace in place
- Single mesh layer offers better ventilation
- Lightweight and durable
- The full length rubber sole offers better grip no matter where you land your feet
- The elasticized lace strap keeps the extra lace in place and ensures one does not slip over their own lace
- The shoe is made of a single mesh layer, which is breathable and offers better ventilation. This ensures your feet don’t get heated up too much
- It is lightweight and is made to last long despite being in the lower price bracket
- Can be tight initially and needs to be stretched out
- Though light, suede and leather combination can result in heated feet