As head injuries are pretty common and it is the head that required a lot of protection, the Cliff Keen F5 Tornado Headgear is our absolute favorite. Though we had wrestlers voting for others in the list, this particular headgear is our top pick due to the revolutionized design and the advanced technology used to make it more audible for the wearer.
Gone are the days when wrestling was reserved just for the men. Today with more women participating in this sport, style and designing are receiving more attention in the gears used.
When it comes to protecting your head, it can never be enough. A small gap to let your head take a hit is good enough to have some serious side effects. Here is a list of head gears we found to be a crowd pleaser, after talking to our numerous wrestling players.
|Cliff Keen F5 Tornado Headgear||Hard Shell||PowerTab™ straps for a better and faster strapping||Very durable but ear piece can crack due to frequent direct hits|
|Asics Unisex Gel Wrestling Ear Guard||Hard Shell||Forehead straps with hooks and loops||Very durable|
|Asics Conquest Ear Guard||Hard Shell||Regular double strap||Very durable|
|Cliff Keen F3 Twister Wrestling Headgear||Hard Shell||Broad straps||Chin piece is not very durable|
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice – F5 Tornado Headgear from Cliff Keen\
- 2 2. Asics Unisex Gel Wrestling Ear Guard
- 3 3. Asics Conquest Ear Guard
- 4 4. Cliff Keen F3 Twister Wrestling Head Gear
Products Reviewed By Us
Knowing how important it is to protect your head in a wrestling match and even during practice, we decided to get first hand information and feedback about the headgears available in the market today.
After discussing with our wrestlers and trying out the headgears, we have come up with a list of 4 best wrestling headgears
- Cliff Keen F5 Tornado Headgear
- Asics Unisex Gel Wrestling Ear Guard
- Asics Conquest Ear Guard
- Cliff Keen F3 Twister Wrestling Headgear
1. Editor’s Choice – F5 Tornado Headgear from Cliff Keen\
Made by one of the most reputed names in the wrestling industry, this F5 Tornado boasts of better sound clarity and snugger fit. A headgear’s main job is to protect the head and the ears of the wearer. This is because a blow to the ears can be devastating.
The revolutionary design used in this product, based on the research by NASA provides for better sound quality. Covering up the ears well should not cover up the sound as hearing your opponent and the referee is extremely important in this sport.
Our wrestler were made to use this headgear for a few days and asked to give their opinion. After discussing what is truly important in a headgear and coming to a consensus as to which headgear ranks where based on those criteria, the F5 Tornado won the vote hands down.
- Revolutionary design based on NASA’s research
- Better Audible Sound™ technology
- 43% lighter
- Power tab strapping system
- Fights bacteria
- The new design allows for better audio clarity. Hearing what is happening around you is very crucial in this sport
- The design not only facilitates better sound but looks much cooler than other headgears in the market too
- The sheer color choice makes it interesting. This shows wrestling gears can be fun and colorful too
- Made of some of the strongest components of the manufacturer, this headgear is meant to last long
- Lighter the headgear, better the comfort as the wearer will not feel heavy while using it for a prolonged period of time
- Better ventilation ensures the ears and the head does not get heated up easily. When these parts heat up, it makes the wearer lose focus
- Easier to strap on and saves precious seconds
- Too much pressure on the earpiece directly like a shoulder butt could damage the piece
- It is the highest priced head gear on the list
Why Should You Wear A Headgear?
Is it part of the rules? Yes, but it is made compulsory for a reason. It is used to protect your ears against blows and nudges. When you are in a fight, you never know where your opponent will attack next.
When you see a punch or a shoulder coming right at you, the very first instinct is to dodge the attack. When you dodge, the first part you expose most of the times is your ear as you tend to turn sideways, even while bending down. Now, if the full pressure of the blow lands on your ear, you can be at serious risk of internal bleeding and hearing loss.
In order to avoid such injuries the head gear is a compulsory part of the sport. When your head gear is in place, you will see that the head is not the one that is covered but your ears are. This is because the skull can take hits but not the ears.
How To Choose A Headgear
When you buying a headgear to be used in wrestling, here are the points to remember:
- The fit has to be perfect as one cannot afford to keep adjusting the gear or get hit just because it didn’t cover well
- Choose between a hard shell and a soft shell based on your needs. Your coach or the shopkeeper can guide well
- It should be easy to strap on and there must be sufficient straps to hold it in place
Soft Shell Vs. Hard Shell
When we checked out the various head gears and spoke to wrestlers, there were many soft shell and hard shell models and many wrestlers admitted that they didn’t know which one to buy in the first place and had to get some help to choose.
A soft shell head gear is basically made out of soft rubber that is lightweight and moulds well to the ears. These are used by entrants or wrestlers who are not very experienced or in advanced levels. They are also recommended for a first headgear as using a hard shell right away could cause discomfort and pain. A soft shell helps to ease the user into what a head gear feels like.
A hard shell head gear is made out of tough mold plastic which offers better protection when compared to a soft shell. However, not every competition allows a hard shell. Hence it is important to find out what is required, before purchasing. Also, it is advisable to get used to both types of head gear as it may come in handy during emergencies. (you never know when your hard shell might crack and your only available spare is a soft shell)
2. Asics Unisex Gel Wrestling Ear Guard
With gel cushioning the ears are protected much better without having to bear any excess weight. The designing of this particular product is why it is featured as our number one product. Priced low, with high level of comfort, this head gear is just perfect for those who want good protection without having to break the bank.
- Gel cushioning
- Combined forehead straps
- Neoprene chin cup
- One size fits all
- The gel cushioning offers better protection without having to compromise on the comfort level. It is not some hard and heavy plastic one has to wear during a fight
- The combined straps with hooks and loop closures ensure the gear stays in place even after receiving a few blows
- Neoprene chin cup makes it more comfortable
- The top section of the gear tends to fall on your eyes, basically cutting out your vision and adding pressure to the eyes
- Ear guard does not have enough gel cushioning, hence can be harsh on the ears when worn or long
3. Asics Conquest Ear Guard
With tough injection mould, this headgear is a good protection against direct head slaps and hits. With a simple yet stylish design, this ear guard is light and efficient in its job. With eight different color choices, one can let the world know a little more about their sense of style.
- Tough injection molded shell
- EVA pads used
- Comfortable to wear
- The mold of the gear protects you well against direct hits and ensures you don’t get swayed by any hit to the head
- When it is light and comfortable to wear, the user does not feel the pressure or weight, thus able to focus better
- It is the second most expensive product on this list
- Straps are very hard and sharp. It can chafe or cause irritation when used on sweat
4. Cliff Keen F3 Twister Wrestling Head Gear
Stepping on to those mats with this jet black head gear, one need not worry about the fit or it slipping off your head. It is designed in such a way that the wearer will neither feel the weight nor will have to keep adjusting it. With good audio quality and ventilation, priced below $40, it is definitely on our list of best wrestling headgears.
- Good ventilation
- Allows sound to come in
- Thick straps for securing
- Available in 18 color combination
- The ultra wide straps ensure the head gear stays in place during the fight and the wearer need not constantly keep adjusting it
- There is enough ventilation to let the sweat out and prevent foul odor. Good ventilation will also help in keeping the user cool around the head
- It allows good amount of sound to come in so that the wearer is aware of what is happening around him
- Reasonable priced and is affordable
- This head gear though stays firm in place during a fight, it tends to slip around when you are rolling for a long time
- The chin piece does not last very long