MMA is a sport that requires a lot of movement, a lot of versatility and will put a good amount of wear and tear on your body and your equipment. When you’re training or competing, it’s important that you are prepared in as many ways as possible. You should prepare yourself for physically, mentally and of course, make sure you have proper gear.
Of course, you will need to have the basics like a mouthguard and good gloves, but you should also take into consideration the shorts you are wearing when you’re performing. MMA shorts are more than just for fashion. They are necessary to keep you comfortable, cool and moving easily when you are at work.
MMA moves quickly and changes styles throughout the entire time. You will need your shorts to be comfortable and mobile through all of these changes. It’s important that you have a style that allows you to breathe and move well whether you are standing up, grappling or against the cage.
There are a few options when you are choosing your shorts for MMA. You can either go with compression shorts, or you can choose MMA shorts. Compression shorts are just spandex shorts that hug your body. Some fighters prefer this over MMA shorts because they are simple, short and you can move easily in them.
Just don’t get them too small….
However, if you aren’t comfortable in just compression shorts, then you should choose a good pair of MMA shorts. You want to make sure that they are not board shorts. The biggest reason is that most board shorts have pockets, metal rings and do not stay on as well as proper shorts will.
I repeat, don’t use board shorts for training, they aren’t strong enough and will eventually rip.
The pockets and metal will get in your way when you’re training, and they are not allowed when you are competing. Also, you don’t want to be pulling your shorts up the entire time that you’re trying to focus on your fighting.
Also, MMA shorts have a specific way to close that ensures that you don’t end up having to pick them up around your ankles. There will be a tie in the front that is covered with a thick, strong strip of velcro. This keeps your pants up around your waist where they belong. If you are using just board shorts or shorts with no tie, then your opponent can easily grab them and pull them down.
But even when you’re looking for a good pair of MMA shorts you still have a few things to think about.
Things to Consider When Buying MMA Shorts:
- Quality- Your shorts are going to be exposed to a lot of wear and tear. You want to make sure that the quality of your shorts is high enough that it can withstand this. In MMA, you can be thrown to the ground, smashed against the cage or grabbed by your opponent’s hands. If you have shorts made from poor quality, then your gear won’t last as long. It can be very distracting if your shorts are ripping, pulling in the wrong places or falling off of you because the fabric has worn out. Of course, better quality shorts will be higher in price, so you will have to find a pair that fits your budget.
- Material- You should check the feel of the shorts and make sure that they are comfortable and also allow you to move. Some MMA shorts use a stretchier material that helps your range of movement. Also, you want to make sure that the material is breathable and wearable similar to a rashguard. If you have shorts that make you sweat because they are too thick or don’t allow for airflow, then you can be very uncomfortable, which can affect your performance.
- Size – Your MMA shorts should fit you well enough that they aren’t falling off, but not too tight that you cannot move easily. You should try on a few pairs to make sure they are the right size for you. If you plan on buying online, then you should check a size chart and make sure you know your exact measurements. If you’re unsure or stuck between two sizes, then it is best to go with the pair that is smaller. You will most likely be able to stretch them out a little bit with some wear, and it’s better to have them a little bit more snug than too loose.
- Style – Just like a lot of fighting products, MMA shorts come in with a lot of different style and color options. If you’re going to spend the money on them, make sure they are a style and color that you like. You have a lot of choices, so don’t feel rushed to buy a pair that you aren’t very fond of.
- Price – You want your MMA shorts to be a good quality pair, but you don’t necessarily have to spend a ton of money. You will also probably want to buy a few pairs so you don’t have to re-wear the same pair during your training (they should be washed every time you wear them. This is both to keep you healthy and to respect your training partners). Find a pair that fits your budget.
- 1 1. Editor’s Choice – Venum Technical Fight Shorts
- 2 2. Reebok Combat MMA Shorts (Best Value)
- 3 3. Hayabusa Stacked Performance Shorts (Best Quality)
- 4 3. Tatami Tri-Chrome Grappling Shorts
- 5 4. Venum Snaker Fight Shorts
- 6 5. Tatami Horizon Fight Shorts
- 7 6. Newaza Apparel Galaxy II Fight Shorts
- 8 7. Bad Boy Velocity Fight Shorts
- 9 Our Final Thoughts on Finding Great MMA Fight Shorts
Basic MMA Shorts Sizing Chart
Finding the right pair of MMA shorts is important, and there are a lot of products to sift through while you’re searching. We know that this can be difficult, so we took some time to research some of our favorites and bring you a list of our best MMA shorts on the market to help you narrow your search.
There are so many brands available in the market today, that it sometimes is a daunting task to choose the best ones. But this review on the best MMA shorts should be able to make things easier for you.
Our Top Fight MMA Fight Shorts Review
|Venum Technical Fight Shorts||100 % Polyester||Lightweight
|Reebok Combat MMA Shorts||Polyester / Elastane, two-way stretch fabric||Lightweight
|Hayabusa Stacked||Durable and Stretch material||Ultra Lightweight
|Tatami Tri-Chrome||Resilient Sublimated Fabric||Lightweight
|Venum Snaker Fight Shorts||100% polyester||Lightweight
|Tatami Horizon Fight Shorts||Durable Fabric||Lightweight
|Newaza Apparel Galaxy II Fight Shorts||100% Polyester||Lightweight
|Bad BoyVelocity fight shorts||Four-way Stretch Fabric||Lightweight
1. Editor’s Choice – Venum Technical Fight Shorts
If you are looking for something comfortable, lightweight and versatile, then the Venum technical fight shorts are certainly the best ones that are available. With their unique design features and good construction features, these MMA shorts stand out from others and are the preferred ones by most of the people we spoke to.
Why the Venum Technical Fight Shorts is our top pick
The Venum brand is a very well-known brand that makes great MMA gear and equipment. And the MMA shorts that this brand produces are of great quality and make.
So, if you are looking at something that is ideally suitable for MMA training, then the Venum Technical fight shorts are a nice option to consider. They also work well for cardio training, BJJ or other cross training.
Made of 100% polyester, these MMA shorts are light weight and comfortable. If you are on the lookout for something that has a long history of producing outstanding products, is lightweight and is very durable, then the Venum Technical fight shorts are highly recommended.
We have listed a couple of the top features of these shorts. I should also mention that anyone who has trained using a polyester blend of fabric knows how comfortable they are and also how quickly they dry. Quick dry also means that they won’t feel heavy when they are drenched in sweat.
- Made of 100% polyester
- Has 3-way closure system
- Comes with a Yoke extensible Flex-System
- Has reinforced seams.
- Fully sublimated.
2. Reebok Combat MMA Shorts (Best Value)
The Reebok combat MMA shorts are a versatile pair of shorts with many outstanding features. And hence they are our second pick for MMA shorts. Designed and constructed very well, keeping in mind the wearer’s comfort factor, these shorts are certainly worth trying. If a good pair of shorts with great features is what you want, then your choice should be the Reebok Combat shorts.
Nevertheless, the hook-and-loop strap closure system found here may not be for all. The Reebok Combat model has become the standard shorts for a log of UFC fighters.
- Made from Polyester, 2-way stretch fabric
- Has tall side slits for enhanced mobility.
- The closure system is reinforced hook-and-loop strap
- A small pocket at the hem for storing the mouth guard.
- Speedwick technology helps keep the sweat away from the body.
3. Hayabusa Stacked Performance Shorts (Best Quality)
Hayabusa is another great brand with a reputation when it comes to MMA gear. And the same great quality is what can be expected from the Hayabusa Stacked Performance Shorts.
If you want something very lightweight and comfortable, tough shorts, then the Hayabusa Stacked shorts should be on your list. I have multiple pairs of Hayabusa shorts that I’ve been using for over 5 years without any issues, tears or rips.
- They have an athletic and loose fit.
- Constructed with a durable stretch material.
- Have side slits.
- The waist is made of silicon non-slip material.
- Comes with drawstring and Velcro.
A few questions answered
What is the fit that can be expected from these shorts?
These shorts have an athletic fit with great mobility and performance.
Do the shorts have any pockets?
Yes, they have concealed zippered pockets.
Do they have any Velcro closure?
To give you a custom fit, these shorts have Velcro closure along with a drawstring.
3. Tatami Tri-Chrome Grappling Shorts
The Tatami Tri-Chrome Grappling Shorts are very well constructed. If you want a highly resilient and sublimated fabric, then the trichrome shorts are for you. These are also shorts that have the new style of functional grappling shorts.
- Made from resilient sublimated fabric.
- They are functional grappling shorts.
- Made from high-quality material.
- Very durable.
- Available in all sizes.
A few questions answered
Are these shorts available in all colors?
No. They are available only in gray color.
Is the fabric sublimated?
Yes, the shorts are made of sublimated fabric.
What are the additional features that you can expect in these shorts?
They have a comfortable waistband with soft interiors, along with reinforced split side vents. The crotch panel is made for full stretch for better mobility.
4. Venum Snaker Fight Shorts
Another product from the Venum brand, the Venum Snaker Fight Shorts, is extremely durable. If you love the Venum brand of MMA gear, you are sure to like this too. These shorts are great looking with a fascinating snake print, designed to attract some good amount of attention.
They are light weight and durable. A great feature of these shorts is the side slits which give you enhanced flexibility and greater mobility.
- Made from 100 % polyester fabric.
- Have reinforced seams
- The closure system features nonabrasive Velcro.
- Have Side slits which give greater flexibility.
A few questions answered
Do the shorts have reinforced seams?
Yes, they have reinforced seams for extended use.
What is the purpose of the side slits?
The side slits help in giving more space for kicking.
5. Tatami Horizon Fight Shorts
These shorts are highly functional. If you want a waist design that has an elasticated design, then the Tatami Horizon Fight Shorts are good for you. The fit is also superior and awesome. The material used is also antibacterial and dries incredibly easily.
The design and construction are nice, giving you a wonderful and comfortable fit.
- Made from durable fabric
- Better construction with a triple stitched feature
- Leg cut is longer
- Waist is half elasticated for better fit
A few questions answered
Do these shorts limit any movement?
No. They fit perfectly well and do no limit any movement.
How about the colors and designs? Do they come in different designs?
The shorts are available only in one color and one design, the abstract view of a galactic vista.
6. Newaza Apparel Galaxy II Fight Shorts
With a beautiful and attractive print, these shorts are great looking fight shorts, suitable for MMA. Made from 100 % polyester fabric, the fabric is highly durable and stretchable, giving supreme comfort.
However, the finish is not quite up to the mark, which certainly stands as a drawback.
- Made of 100 % polyester.
- Has a Velcro closure system.
- Internal drawstrings for abetter fit.
- Fabric and design are sublimated.
- Available in all sizes.
A few questions answered
Are these shorts available in other colors and designs?
Unfortunately, they are not available in different colors. They are available only in the galaxy print in red and blue color combination.
How is the durability and finish of the product?
As the shorts are made of 100% polyester, they are reasonably durable. But, there can be some improvements in the overall finish of the product.
7. Bad Boy Velocity Fight Shorts
If you want some unrestricted leg movements, with good comfort and flexibility, then the Bad Boy Velocity fight shorts are ideal for you. The construction is very robust, which is again a great advantage.
The inner drawstrings, and the adjustable front Velcro closure, all add up to increasing the comfort level of the wearer. It is very good in quality and can last through a few years of intense training and grappling sessions.
- Made of ultra-stretch material.
- Have inner drawstrings and the adjustable front Velcro closure system.
- Fully sublimated graphics.
- High side slit for additional range of motion
- Has a built in mouth guard pocket.
A few questions answered
Are these shorts available in all sizes and colors?
These shorts are available from Size Z to 2XL and are available in two colors- red and black.
How is the fit and feel of the fabric?
The fabric is a unique 4-way stretch fabric giving you an ultimate freedom of movement and the fit is secure.
Our Final Thoughts on Finding Great MMA Fight Shorts
Whether you’re a professional fighter or are just training MMA for fun, you should still have proper shorts. If you prefer MMA shorts over compression shorts, then you want to make sure that you have the right pair for you. There are a few things to consider like the quality of the materials, size, style and price. You want a pair of shorts that will fit you properly and allow you to move and train easily.
When you’re training or competing, you don’t want your clothes to get in the way, so you need to make sure that you have a pair of shorts that is the right size, the proper style and won’t rip or tear from use.
Having the right shorts will really help you feel like an MMA fighter and will allow you to feel more connected to your sport. You will be comfortable, cool and mobile. Take your time while choosing and make sure you pick a pair of shorts that is right for you and your budget, and enjoy wearing your MMA shorts while you train and compete.