Whether you’re doing traditional boxing, Muay Thai or even just hitting pads for exercise, you should always make sure that you have your hands properly wrapped.
If you begin any of your training without using wraps, then you set yourself up for an easy and very preventable injury.
Your hands have a lot of little bones in them, and they move independently of each other, especially when you’re throwing punches.
If you wrap your hands tightly, then you secure the bones in your hand. This means that ifyou hit a pad or throw a punch at a wrong angle, then you minimize the risk of fractures, even all the way into your wrist.
Boxing hand wraps themselves offer little protection against hits. That is what your gloves are for. But they are essential to keeping your hands tight and in the right position so your risk of fracture or injury is as low as possible. Not only are these injuries painful, but they will end up taking time out of your training that you didn’t want to lose.
Continually training or competing without properly wrapped hands could cause you to end up with long-term injuries that affect you much later in life, even after you’ve hung your boxing gloves up for good.
Take a quick look at this video by my man George St.Pierre, explaining a little more about wrapping and it’s important.
Finding the right pair of hand wraps will be really important for you. Not only will you want to have ones that work best for you, but you will also need to buy several of them. They are all relatively cheap (under $10), you’ll use them every time you train or compete, and you do not want to use the same pair two days in a row. They will get pretty sweaty and gross.
There are a few different types of hand wraps that you can choose from, and each of them depends on what you’re doing, how much protection you need and your own personal preference.
If you’re still confused on how to wrap your hands? check out this awesome WikiHow article.
Some people like to have longer wraps to have a good thick layer or protection. Some people like a stretchier wrap which makes for a more comfortable hold, but might be a little bit softer and offer less protection than a non-stretch wrap. Whatever one you choose they are an excellent addition to regular boxing gloves, sparring gloves or bag gloves.
- 1 How to choose your wraps:
- 2 1. Editor’s Pick Venom Boxing Hand Wraps for Kickboxing and MMA
- 3 Top Hand Wraps Review
- 4 2. Venum Boxing 4 M (Best Muay Thai Hand Wraps)
- 5 3. Hypnotik Nylon Best Mexican Style Hand Wraps – 180”
- 6 4. Hynotik Gel Quick Wraps 130” (Safest for Kids)
- 7 Our Final Thoughts on Best Hand Wraps for Boxing and MMA
Different Types of Boxing Hand Wraps:
- Traditional Hand Wraps- These are made from a cotton weave material. They do not stretch, and can be wrapped tightly around the hand. They hold strong and are closed with velcro. It’s important when wrapping to make sure that you don’t wrap too tightly and cut off circulation to your fingers.
- Mexican Hand Wraps- These are made from a semi-elastic material that allows them to have more give when on your hands. They are considered more comfortable and are softer than traditional wraps. They close with velcro and will hold tight.
- Tape- This is typically used only during professional fights and rarely ever for training. Tape and gauze hold tight, but are unnecessary for everyday use.
- Glove wraps– These are tight, fingerless gloves that make for a quick wrap and are easy to put on and off, but generally do not hold tight enough to be effective for serious training.
How to choose your wraps:
- Personal Preference- This is pretty much the most important thing when it comes to choosing your wraps. If you don’t know which kind you like best, then buy a few different pairs and try them out (or borrow some). You may not be comfortable with traditional wraps, especially if you find them to be too tight or painful when you’re training. If that’s the case, then go for stretchier wraps and stay comfortable.
- Use- How you train or if you’re competing will dictate which wraps you use, because it will dictate length. If you’re hitting pads, boxing and punching a lot then you might want a longer wrap (180’’). If you are training MMA or focusing less on punches, then you can use a shorter wrap that offers less protection and might be more comfortable.
- Style- Your hand wraps can also be a point to show your individual style or your team. Hand wraps come in every color and print that you can imagine, so if you want bright pink or zebra striped, then you can buy them.
Apart from using the right hand wraps, you want to make sure that you are wrapping properly, so you don’t waste your time and money with them. Get someone to help you if you’re unsure on how to use them.
We compiled a list of the best hand wraps for boxing and boxing hand wraps that we could find to help you in the search to find your perfect wrap.
1. Editor’s Pick Venom Boxing Hand Wraps for Kickboxing and MMA
Venum Boxing Hand Wraps 4m are designed to give you ultimate comfort and protection. Whether you are an amateur or a professional boxer, you will need high-quality protection and Venum can offer just that.
When you are training hard, these Mexican-style elastic wraps will ensure that your performance is in no way compromised. You will no longer need to be concerned about your wrist getting fractured or sprained.
These are 4m elastic wraps that are long enough to completely wrap up the injury-prone parts. The one feature that makes it stand apart from others is how it is exactly as long as required.
There is no additional bunching of materials that need to be wrapped up on your arms. This ensures that you always have a precise aim without any disturbing element in between.
It has a breathable fabric and once you start using it, you will get used to its softness and comfort. The Velcro strap makes it fit onto your wrists perfectly.
For a regular user, this has a huge benefit of being easy to clean. Even after repeated washes, it continues to hold form and looks as good as new.
If you have used boxing hand wraps in the past that have caused you embarrassment due to odor retention, then this is what you need. These hand wraps do not hold in any smell even when you use them repeatedly.
- Stretches perfectly.
- Perfect length.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Excellent material.
- Great fit.
- Highly durable.
- Extremely comfortable.
- The material is thinner than other hand wraps.
How To Choose The Best Hand Wraps for Boxing, Kickboxing and MMA
It is very important to know what kind of hand wrap suits whom. This is why you need to understand the different factors to consider while buying a hand wrap. Given below is a breakdown of the decisive factors:
Type of Hand Wraps:
Stays tighter and does not come loose in a training session.
Tends to become quite loose during intense training sessions.
Length of Hand Wraps:
The other important thing to consider is how wide the Velcro straps are. An effective hand wrap will have wide Velcro straps that will give your wrists additional support and will not come loose during training sessions.
Top Hand Wraps Review
|Venum Boxing Hand Wraps||2.5 m long||Elasticated hand wraps|
|Perfect for amateur and professional training.|
|Hynotik Nylon Mexican Style Hand Wraps||180 inches long||Bio-alignment|
|Muay Thai, Boxing, Kick Boxing.|
|Hypnotik Gel Quick Wraps||130 inches long||Advanced shock protection|
Great range of motion.
|Intense training sessions and fights.|
2. Venum Boxing 4 M (Best Muay Thai Hand Wraps)
The best feature of these hand wraps is the fact that they are elasticated. A boxer needs to be able to stretch out his or her fingers and feel comfortable while training or fighting in the ring.
These hand wraps are made of stretchable cotton to provide ultimate comfort. They do not stick to your hands and wrists because of the fact that cotton is breathable. Even when you are sweating it out, they ensure that the skin on your hand is breathing.
The Velcro fasteners ensure a tight grip on your wrist and hands so that they don’t come loose in a training session.
- Breathable fabric.
- Stretches well.
- Provides adequate comfort and protection.
- Velcro straps ensure a tight grip.
- Might not keep the moisture away since it is made of cotton.
3. Hypnotik Nylon Best Mexican Style Hand Wraps – 180”
These are authentic Mexican style wraps that give you a contoured fit. These wraps can be used for Muay Thai, kick boxing, shadow boxing as well as sparring.
Considering the fact that they are Mexican style wraps, they are quite popular since they offer a tighter grip and more protection. They are thicker than the typical wraps found in the sports stores.
You can literally punch all day since they provide great protection while you are landing your punches. They have a superb stretch and are extremely convenient for those who have bigger hands and forearms. They are great for professionals as well as for beginners.
- Highly durable.
- Great stretch ability.
- Features thumb loop and hook and loop closure
- Is machine washable.
- You can get them on and off in seconds.
- Provides vital protection to hands and wrists.
- Could be slightly difficult to wrap because of the thickness.
4. Hynotik Gel Quick Wraps 130” (Safest for Kids)
For athletes and professional boxers who need advanced shock protection, this is the kind of wrap you should opt for. It comes equipped with gel technology that protects the knuckles from injuries during high-impact training sessions.
It also offers a great range of motion while providing ultimate support to the wrist area. The fabric of the hand wraps is made of breathable neoprene that allows the moisture to be wicked away. This offers better grip and control even when you are sweating profusely.
They fit under boxing gloves that are sized 140z and upwards. They will not fit under gloves that are already too tight.
- Ultimate protection to knuckles and wrists.
- Perfectly suited for high-impact trainings.
- Breathable fabric keeps moisture away.
- Velcro straps keep the wraps in place.
- Advanced shock protection.
- Will only fit under gloves that are 14 oz and upwards in size.
Our Final Thoughts on Best Hand Wraps for Boxing and MMA
Keeping your hands wrapped is essential in preventing injury when training in Thai boxing, boxing or MMA. You want to make sure that every time you train you are taking the few extra minutes to wrap your hands and wrap them properly.
Don’t be afraid to ask your coaches or teammates to help you if you are having trouble wrapping your hands or getting them tight enough. You don’t want to end up with fractures or long-term problems that could have easily been prevented. This is especially important for kids boxing.
Which wraps you choose will be up to you based on comfort, use and style. Make sure that you are able to wrap your hands tightly and comfortably, and buy the ones that allow you to do that.
By having the right wraps, you will decrease your risk of injury and improve your performance.